Exactly

Story: First Look At Ubuntu Linux 5.04 Array-4Total Replies: 7
Author Content
devnet

Feb 16, 2005
9:24 AM EDT
"Out of the box, I'd say this is one of the worst looking distributions I've ever reviewed."

Exactly!

"I use Konqueror for a few different web-related tasks and found that it wasn't installed, so I attempted to use apt-get to install it. To my dismay, it wasn't on the list of available packages to install. XMMS was missing...as was Amarok..."

Nice Debian compatability for new users? They'd have to unpin things to get the full benefit of Debian...how many new users do you know that can do that?

"I don't feel that it's quite “there” yet, if you know what I mean? While it seems to be heading in the right direction, I don't find that its compliment of applications is diverse enough, or that they've done anything to really improve usability in any way. Ubuntu seems like a standard Debian system to me, and I know I'll get slack for that, but it just doesn't do it for me"

It doesn't, nor has it ever, done it for me either. When I want all the problems he mentions in the review to go away and I want to harness Debian without tweaking the crap outta a distro...I use SimplyMEPIS. I'll say it again for everyone, I haven't found any free distro yet that can stand up to it.
tuxchick

Feb 16, 2005
12:19 PM EDT
I don't see the point of Yet Another Linux Distribution. The main problem with Debian is the poo installer. The new Sarge installer is pretty slick, though it's still a bit complex for Joe and Mary Dimwit. Give them Xandros and move on.

Community? Something kinder and gentler than the flamey, idiotic Debian world would be nice. But hardly a reason for a whole new distribution.

What would really get me excited are reliable security patches for Sid. Does Ubuntu provide these? Nup.

Another crying need is good end-user documentation. Does Ubuntu provide this? Nyet.

Releasing Yet Another Linux Distribution just because you can is not, for me, a very compelling reason to try it.

salparadise

Feb 16, 2005
12:38 PM EDT
Whilst I have to agree the default look is rubbish and the installer is not all that friendly - especially the partitioner (no win resizing on warty - not sure about hoary). Mostly it comes down to taste. A bit like Levis or Wranglers.

I tried Mepis. I don't like KDE (another taste thing), the version I got (the new live cd) has gnome, but installed to the hard drive or not I couldn't get the desktop running beyond 1024x768 - despite trying various methods. (A deal breaker for me.) The bootloader gleefully ignores all other distros - Hoary detected and added Fedora Core 3, Suse 9.1, Mandrake 10.2 and Warty (all installed on my "mess about" box). Ubuntu feels really good, slick, elegant a delight to use. I go through phases of returning to Mandrake but keep coming back to Ubuntu. I don't care that it takes 20 minutes of messing to get it just so.

But for out of the box functionality I have to agree, Mepis has the edge. On the other hand - Mepis costs money, Ubuntu is free and that means less plugins and more tweaking. So the choice then is pre-tweaked for a few dollars/pounds or tweak it yourself for free.

Also, what we may forget as (relatively long term) Linux users, is that every distro is a wonder to a new (ex-Windows) user, "ALL that software comes with it?" "Really?" Even Ubuntu is "heavy laden with fruit" compared to any default Windows install.

AnonymousCoward

Feb 17, 2005
3:12 AM EDT
TC: I tried "apt-get poo" and it wasn't found. What is this "poo installer?" (-:
devnet

Feb 17, 2005
4:53 AM EDT
MEPIS is free

http://www.mepis.org/book/view/1462
salparadise

Feb 19, 2005
11:50 PM EDT
OK Thought I'd go back and give it some more effort. Being defeated by screen resolution is ridiculous! So, got that sorted. devnet I have to admit you have a point. Am exploring further.

Anon' Coward, shouldn't that be "apt-get install poo"? ;-)

tis a good job we're not gentoo users!

...'nuff sed

tuxchick

Feb 20, 2005
8:34 AM EDT
Part of the charm of Debian is if you don't know how, tough cookies. You are not worthy.

Only partly kidding.... :)
salparadise

Feb 20, 2005
9:29 AM EDT
I've heard as much elsewhere.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!