Let me get this straight....

Story: Convert a Windows system to dual-boot Linux on a second driveTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
mdl

Feb 21, 2005
7:47 AM EDT
This guy has violated the sacred rule to always have a backup "and didn't want to take the time to make one", so he goes through the most convoluted procedure I have ever heard of to avoid taking avoid taking any chances with his precious Windows bootloader in his MBR?

Hmmm, he doesn't have time to make a backup (which he should have anyway) but he has time for all this fooling around and then has time to write an article about it.

He must be an MCSE.
tuxchick

Feb 21, 2005
10:49 AM EDT
It is convoluted, and unnecessary. Most linuxes will find any windows partitions during the install and add them to the bootloader; you don't have to take any extra steps. It's OK to show how to boot linux from windows, but come on- being too lazy to make a proper backup is a pretty bad reason!
PaulFerris

Feb 21, 2005
1:48 PM EDT
I remember the good old days of Dos version 6 when during the install, the program would prompt you (I kid you not) something to the effect of "I found a version of OS/2 installed -- do you want me to delete it?"

Nice.

Agreed on the backup thing. Of course, us enterprise-class-weenie engineers feel that backups should only be of the relevant data (like a DB server if that's its primary function). You should be able, if you've done your support automation the right way, to build the specific role server with a bare minimum of inputs. Who needs a full system backup when you can just kick-start or auto-yast the correct server into existense?
tuxchick

Feb 21, 2005
5:56 PM EDT
Paul. This is windoze we're talking about. Not a real operating system.
mdl

Feb 21, 2005
6:06 PM EDT
You're right, tuxchick. If ever an OS need full and frequent backups it is windoze.
PaulFerris

Feb 21, 2005
7:13 PM EDT
"Had you been using a real operating system you would have been instructed where to tune for patches and important system upgrades.

This is a Test, this is only a Test ...."
Koriel

Feb 22, 2005
1:24 AM EDT
I know this might sound like heresy, I would probably have more respect for windows if it would just allow me to properly define/separate program space from data space using partitions.

This gives the advantage that i can completely blow away my OS space and do full upgrades with absolutely no loss of data, just try doing that on windows.

Maybe their is a way of pointing the Documents & Settings to a different drive/partition if their is please let me know about it as im fed up losing my data after reinstall.

I do regular backups to DVD for all my machines but i rarely need to resort to them in the case of Linux, its a copy back all the damn stuff everytime for windows.

When oh when is MS gonna get hit by the clue train.

End of rant and probably offtopic as well :)
peragrin

Feb 22, 2005
3:40 AM EDT
When oh when is MS gonna get hit by the clue train.

MSFT sees the train but they have a deer in headlight look as they are staring that the smiling penguin driving the train.

Update: Hey Dave this marks three times that I have compeletly lost a post. Is there something you have againist characters?

><

tuxchick

Feb 22, 2005
8:26 AM EDT
Koriel, you can put your data on a separate partition, even on a network device. But you don't get the option to do so during installation, and as far as I know Documents & Settings is immovable. It's retard-o-mania all the way.

You don't want to save your settings in any case, since it's good practice to blow away your windoze installation on a regular basis to kill the cooties and start over, and you never know how far the infestation has spread.
devnet

Feb 22, 2005
10:13 AM EDT
What a fool!

I do it this way....

Download GaG and make a boot CD/floppy: http://gag.sourceforge.net/ and include up to 9 different OS's...I use 3...2 Linux, one XP.

Now whenever you want to boot off the second drive, insert your CD/floppy and boot off of it...then choose the OS you want to boot. I don't even remove my floppy...I just boot off of it all the time. If this guy did the same, his precious windows would be unaltered. Problem solved in half the time with half the problems.
SFN

Feb 22, 2005
12:38 PM EDT
"Of course, us enterprise-class-weenie engineers..."

Hey! Who you callin' an engineer?!
PaulFerris

Feb 22, 2005
2:50 PM EDT
SFN: So Sorry, I forget at times the power of stereo-typing people. Next thing you know, I'll be call someone a tool...
Koriel

Feb 23, 2005
12:28 AM EDT
I agree tuxchick, that you should blow away the OS and D&S every time due to all the registry stuff being stored there, what a lame idea the registry was, i usuallly just back up the application data bookmarks and such to a separate vfat partition but its all still a pain in the posterior regions and would really like to give MS a good kick up the gluteus maximus on general principles.
hkwint

Feb 23, 2005
6:04 AM EDT
I tried NTFSresize for my father, worked fine, except for the f*c*i*g Packard-Bell people starting a new partition halfway a cylinder (so didn't work after all)... My father had a backup and a backup of his backup though.

But I like people taking such risks with their partitions, after all, what could this guy have lost? Only his Windows OS! That would be a blessing, because then he wouldn't have to take the effort of a dual boot anymore, but just boot straight into Linux!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!