wow

Story: Linux 2.6.11 set to be releasedTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
wjl

Feb 25, 2005
1:54 AM EDT
A good story to wetting our appetite, but what really got me again are the comments of Andreas Barth and the clever decisions of the whole Debian team.

When you have to deal with 'production' machines, you have to appreciate what these guys are doing for us all. I'd rather wait a bit for the newest and coolest stuff, when it saves me lots of trouble and error hunting.

Good work, guys. Thanks to Linus & the kernel hackers, thanks to Andreas & the Debian guys, and thanks to VISITOR for posting the story.

Kind regards, wjl
tuxchick

Feb 25, 2005
9:58 PM EDT
Ah, the mythical upcoming Sarge release, going on 35 months and counting. 99999 bottles of beer on the wall, 99999 bottles of beeeeer......
wjl

Feb 26, 2005
2:41 AM EDT
tuxchick > Ah, the mythical upcoming Sarge release, going on 35 months and counting. 99999 bottles of beer on the wall, 99999 bottles of beeeeer.....

Hehe ok; that's a point. But only for those who don't know Debian, or who never really tried it.

It's perfectly possible to upgrade to Sarge from Woody right now, and if you use the new Debian Installer, you will start with Sarge anyway. No need to install all these shiny Ubuntu/Knoppix/Mepis/Kanotix (sorry; I cannot mention them all here, just because they're too many).

One very interesting alternative comes from the man (I mean Ian here) himself tho: take a look at Progeny; they have a freely available 'developer's edition'. Differences are in the modularity of it, which is quite impressive.

But yeah, you're right: I'm hooked to Debian and probably always will be...

Greets, wjl

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!