retraining MCSEs

Story: Linux in Government: Linux System AdministratorsTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

Feb 28, 2005
2:09 PM EDT
"In general, a Linux system administrator has an easier time working on Microsoft and UNIX operating systems than the other way around." In my experience, Unix admins do fine on Linux, except for whining about differences.

But Windows admins? Puhleeze. The ones who have the talent and wit to dig under the covers and really try to understand how things work tend to gravitate into the Unix/Linux world on their own. But the majority of career windows admins and MCSEs are, in my barely humble opinion, not really into tech- it's just a job for them. They got their certifications, and learned how to eject a food pellet by pushing the correct button, and that's the extent of their ambitions. They're not techies, just clock-punchers.
peragrin

Feb 28, 2005
4:15 PM EDT
>they got their certifications, and learned how to eject a food pellet by pushing the correct button, and that's the extent of their ambitions. They're not techies, just clock-punchers.

Is there somewhere I can vote on this comment. this needs a +5 Funny,Insightful modifiers. This quote must be repeated every time somebody says Linux admins are more expensive than Windows Admins.

ROFLMAO, Thanks Tuxchick.
PaulFerris

Feb 28, 2005
5:39 PM EDT
peragrin and tuxchick: that is so to the point, you're right.

I did an apache class presentation recently (a bunch of people that were in a technical college -- I was invited to talk about Apache from the point of view of someone professional who uses it).

A couple of the guys in the class expressed opinions that anything like Linux or apache was pretty arcane because of the command-line focus (this was my opinion, the instructors opinion and the general opinion of the smarter people at this technical college) and because of the fact that they were being taught how to compile something (oh the horror).

The rest of the people seemed really into the whole thing from the point of view of the opportunity to learn -- and it's this facination and the whole theoretical underpinnings that make themselves plain to you when you use Linux that drew me here and has kept me facinated and entertained for the past decade and a half or so -- a long, long time.

I'm not into the pellets or the whole rat in a cage thing at all, in other words.

What a nice analogy.
dinotrac

Feb 28, 2005
7:23 PM EDT
The real problem, I think, is that too many HR types and far too many IT managers are simply unequipped to assess anybody who is still alive from the neck up.
tuxchick

Mar 01, 2005
11:02 AM EDT
dinotrac, I agree 100%. Somewhere I read that most corporate environments are little more than adult daycare.

And peragrin, your wit and insight continue to shine through. :)
peragrin

Mar 01, 2005
11:22 AM EDT
Tuxchick thanks.

Yes most corporate envirments are nothing more than Adult day care. That's when they show up.

I live in Rochester,NY not far from Kodak's headquarters. From the stories I have heard it's no wonder why Kodak has fallen the way they have. Guys/Gals would go to work, punch in, leave Drink/gamble/other job/etc return to Kodak, Punch out. The machine fabricators would use Kodak materials and tools to build projects, and create parts that they needed. Over the course of a year one guy built the frame for, and used sheet metal from Kodak stock for a shed behind his house.

I miss the Dot Bomb. Massive Auctions of pool tables, rock walls, game machines, because that is what those companies spent their venture dollars on. How many billions are wasted every year. Some of that is reasearch, and some of that are like Darl Mcbride's Million + a year salary.
hkwint

Mar 01, 2005
12:00 PM EDT
Quote: But the majority of career windows admins and MCSEs are, in my barely humble opinion, not really into tech- it's just a job for them. They got their certifications, and learned how to eject a food pellet by pushing the correct button, and that's the extent of their ambitions. They're not techies, just clock-punchers.

Quote: Somewhere I read that most corporate environments are little more than adult daycare.

Think whe should make a "fortune-mod-lxer-forums" package
AnonymousCoward

Mar 01, 2005
2:39 PM EDT
Paul: the trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
PaulFerris

Mar 01, 2005
3:06 PM EDT
AC: Yeah, I know a few MCSE's that are really proud of the fact that they've gotten the lattest MS "server" product loaded at home to do something really simple, like mail serving -- and they brag about how they got it for "free" by being associated at work and so on -- places that pay yearly membership fees.

The whole condescending attitude "dude, I got (pirated) serious _server_ software loaded at home!"

How ratifying for them.
dinotrac

Mar 01, 2005
7:39 PM EDT
>The whole condescending attitude "dude, I got (pirated) serious _server_ software loaded at home!" Ya know -

Maybe they DO have something in common with Linux geeks, after all.

Even THEY don't want to pay for that crap!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!