Lame article

Story: Linux desktops on Windows using VNCTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Shulai

Mar 08, 2005
2:54 PM EDT
Check the posts below the story in newsforge, the good stuff is there and not in the article, shortly:

Use a X-VNC server to get X sessions independent from the console X session.

Use the X server from Cygwin to get better, faster X sessions on Windows than using VNC.
Koriel

Mar 09, 2005
1:32 AM EDT
This was actually a reasonable article although "lite" on detail, i was in exactly the same position last month.

I used KDE's built in VNC downloaded TightVNC for windows and had working remote control of the Linux box within minutes.

No average user in his right mind is going to install cygwin on a bog standard windows install in order to run and X-session just to control another PC unless it was going to be a long term thing. If like in my case it is a temporary thing ie 2 weeks VNC is more than capable of handling the job.

The article is aimed at the person who doesn't want to many added hassles, X-sessions under cygwin may well run faster but thats not what this article is about, its about how easy it is to achieve remote control of a linux box.

I just hate it when people in the Linux community make things more difficult because of geek mentality and while this persists Linux will never be accepted by your average Joe Sixpack as he/she doesn't want to be bombarded by a multitude of options they just want to get the job done in the easiest manner possible.

The KDE people have it right with their built in VNC, Im perfectly capable of setting up multiple x-sessions across networked installations but im not going to because im a lazy geek and being lazy means im closer to thinking like Joe Sixpack.

End of rant.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!