CD-Persistant Morphix Module

Story: World first: Live-CD that saves back to CDTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Fritz

Mar 09, 2005
1:49 AM EDT
I don't know if this is the basis of what's being used by puppy or not, but it sounds awfully similar.

http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/CD-Persistant

I tried to get this working once on a liveCD I was making quite a while ago, never had any luck with it though. It looks like it has improved since then.

One thing that the CD-Persistant module is supposed to be capable of that is not listed in Puppy's description of their CD is it's CD-RW functionality. With a morphix CD-RW and CD-Persistant, the track storing your /home directory can be wiped out and recreated so that it is even more like just using your hard drive. The downside of this is a much larger requirement for RAM, because you would have to move all of your changes temporarily to RAMdrive while the track was being recreated. It's still a col feature though.

Another thing, does anybody know if puppy is using UnionFS? From the description I assume it has to be, but it doesn't really say anywhere that I see.

-> Fritz
Prometheus

Mar 09, 2005
7:59 AM EDT
The CD-RW idea is good, but i dont know why the idea of just running linux from a USB flash drive with anything more than 128MB isn't a better solution. The /home is on the USB drive, so any changes saved are saved there. I wouldn't think it would be as hard as the situation where you have to deal with RamDisk to store you changes back to a CD-RW cdrom.
Fritz

Mar 09, 2005
8:29 PM EDT
Well, frankly it's just one more thing to carry around. Not to mention, even though flash drives are falling rapidly in price, they'll never be as cheap as a CD-RW. You could easily use puppy and go through 50 discs worth of /home changes and still have spent much less.

-> Fritz

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!