Nice to see the Europeans admit to being two-faced

Story: SuSE takeover 'pushed customers to Debian'Total Replies: 7
Author Content
dinotrac

Mar 15, 2005
4:19 AM EDT
Yeah --

They'll complain about unfair American trade practices out the Ying-Yang, but, when push comes to shove, they don't really want free trade. They still want to be colonial masters.
hkwint

Mar 15, 2005
11:16 AM EDT
Dinotrac: Completely wrong remark!

(Disclaimer: I live in Europe!) (Claimer: Nonetheless, I strongly regret the colonial time of my own country (The Netherlands=Holland) in Indonesia etc. Much people were killed by our government in the beginning of the previous century)

1) The whole Germany-Linux thing originally was meant to move away from American companies, and not being depended on them. So when Novell takes over Suse, they're dependent on an American company again. So they ditch Suse, to hold on to their original philosophy. 2) Germany is the only country in West-Europe which DOESN'T have / had colonies, they were all taken from them after WO I. 3) The countries you name colonial, adopted SuSE more than before! Quote from the article: Köthe's insisted that (Suse's) its acquisition has helped SuSE Linux to reach more public sector customers around Europe.

After Germany was dependent on the US firm Microsoft, it's not a miracle they're afraid for US companies. But that's my opinion (Start you're flamers! I already feel some people disagree).
dinotrac

Mar 15, 2005
12:44 PM EDT
>Dinotrac: Completely wrong remark!

Strictly speaking, yes.

But let's be honest --

Microsoft and Novell are not the same thing. Linux is not Windows.

Novell hasn't made Debian go away, or Mandrake, or Mepis or oodles of other.

It's the utter lack of differentiation that smells ever so slightly.
hkwint

Mar 16, 2005
12:51 AM EDT
Well, I agree.

I was just a bit offended, you know.

Anyway, I think Köthe (from the article) is right: more and more companies start using SuSE (look in our LXer Migration list).

But, another, more interesting issue was raised here, in my opinion: Maybe those Germans found out, if you can already work with Linux and have skilled people, you don't need al that big-company support, because you can support yourself (with those Germans I mean the early Linux adopters). That even saves them more money. And since unemployment in Germany was (almost) never as high as it is today (over 10% I believe), they'd sure like that.

I'm very curious if this presents a trend - would be large news if it did.
dinotrac

Mar 16, 2005
8:27 AM EDT
Sorry to offend.

Being an American these days seems to require enduring endless lectures about all of the terrible things we do,and what a terrible country we are, all with the implication that the lecturer's own country/politcal grouping/whathaveyou is morally superior.

I find it very hard to resist opportunities to remind folks that, when all is said and done, people is people is people is people.
PaulFerris

Mar 17, 2005
2:55 AM EDT
dinotrac: "I find it very hard to resist opportunities to remind folks that, when all is said and done, people is people is people is people."

He probably wasn't offended that you were an American at all. It was probably more personal: You are dinotrac :P

That's enough, right?

(-:
dinotrac

Mar 17, 2005
3:55 AM EDT
>You are dinotrac :P > That's enough, right?

That's what my wife says....
hkwint

Mar 17, 2005
10:32 AM EDT
Dinotrac: >Being an American these days seems to require enduring endless lectures about all of the terrible things we do,and what a terrible country we are, all with the implication that the lecturer's own country/politcal grouping/whathaveyou is morally superior.

You don't do terrible things, and you're not a terrible country. You're Bush-administration does all that stuff, although, we Europeans tend to believe so. You don't own nuclear weapons, do you? You don't abuse prisoners in Iraq, did you? Of course there are good Americans, the ones who freed us from Hitler and Communism (that's what they learned us at school), and the ones who use Linux (even if it was made by a Finnish Communist and it contains remote holes so the Finnish Communists can spy on you!). Especially the ones that are member of LXer. And above all - the ones called Dinotrac. (Just kidding :) )

Uhhhm, important notice:

and especially if they sign the anti-European-softwarepatents petition at http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html?LANG=en

Teach those bloody EU-bastards!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!