Author Content
cypherpunks

Mar 15, 2005
1:09 PM EDT
You people should know better.
PaulFerris

Mar 15, 2005
4:05 PM EDT
add GNU tools, and GNOME, and maybe Slowlaris is somewhat livable... Check under the hood a bit, though, and you find a creaking excuse for an OS. It may have some enterprise qualites -- but as far as what an end-user (read typical Linux user) wants in an OS, I don't think a lot of people are going to be clamoring.

SeanConnery315

Mar 15, 2005
5:50 PM EDT
Regardless of what Sun's excuse of a marketing technique is today, their OS has only penetrated mid to large size enterprises. I still have no idea why they continue to waste time on the desktop - that's not why anyone mainstream uses it. We use it for application servers, web servers (sometimes it's not so bad), directory & portal servers, even database servers (I don't want to hear any crap here either).

I don't care that it's slow, sometimes painful, proprietary, etc. It is here, and useable, so it is used. They put some fun goodies in like dtrace to make things a little easier (since, as I said, their servers are already in the racks), and it's not such a bad enterprise OS.

So, I'll partially agree with Ferris here. But only half credit for a Tuesday!

-Tool

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!