Head-scratching when I consider the source...

Story: Linux is insecure, unscalableTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dinotrac

Mar 17, 2005
4:01 AM EDT
First and foremost:

We must remember that EDS is in the business of selling computing services to large corporate customers and to the government, including military contracts.

It is entirely possible that Linux is not suitable for all of their purposes.

It is also possible that EDS wants to encourage people to use its solutions, including its mainframe solutions.

Don't know. Don't know what to make of this. It is, overall, just silly. Large companies are using Linux all over the place. It is not, at least from what I can see, simple Microsoft apologia. I rather doubt that EDS would promote Microsoft servers as good for many heavy-duty industrial uses.

PaulFerris

Mar 17, 2005
4:22 AM EDT
Ah but Dino, you're missing the ending -- it's Sun that's getting the padding here -- don't forget the chunk of revenue Linux took from the Sun coffers this past couple of years.
phsolide

Mar 17, 2005
4:28 AM EDT
DinoTrac wrote:

It is entirely possible that Linux is not suitable for all of their purposes.

Oh, dear, down that path lies the most insane madness of all: rational choice. Once you open the door to the idea that one should choose the best tool, one might actually decide that "Word" is kaka and that "Excel" really isn't a good thing to use to take surveys, store license keys, write brochures, and do year-long project planning with.

Heaven forbid that "Windows" isn't the be-all and end-all of computing.
hkwint

Mar 17, 2005
9:50 AM EDT
PaulFerris: > it's Sun that's getting the padding here

It indeed looks like a Solaris 10 add to me. This isn't a good way to build up a comunity for OpenSolaris. IF I was in the Solaris 10 comunity, I would be out of there after reading this article.
dinotrac

Mar 17, 2005
9:55 AM EDT
True enough - I caught the references to all the Unices boiling back down to Solaris.

I didn't know that EDS was heavy into Solaris. I guess that just shows how much attention I pay!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!