Kubuntu is Excellent

Story: Kubuntu KDE 3.4 Screenshot TourTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Abe

Mar 19, 2005
8:31 AM EDT
I just tried Kubuntu with KDE 3.4, it is a beauty. Although it is their first attempt, it is clean well organized, fast, reliable, and robust. It is amazing. I started the download last night and were done in the morning. I usually get about 500Kb/s download rate, this time I was getting between 10-20Kb/s and it was well worth it.

The couple things it needs are more standard applications, like FireFox, SodiPodi, etc and "Install Me" option to install on the hard disk like Mepis & Knoppix.

I highly recommend to every one to give it a try. I see a great future for it.
stoneguy

Mar 19, 2005
12:20 PM EDT
I was glad to see this addition to the Ubuntu family. Not because I care about the KDE/GNOME issues (a desktop is a desktop as far as I'm concerned), but because Kubuntu Live works better with my Windows peer network than the standard Hoary Live Preview (my bugzilla entries pending). Come the official releases next month, I'm not sure which one will replace my Warty install.

Ubuntu, once you set up extra repositories, offers most of the convenience of buy it now, subscribe later distros like Linspire and Xandros. So if your braincase is fuller than your wallet, it's a great way to go.

devnet

Mar 21, 2005
6:31 AM EDT
I downloaded, installed, and configured Kubuntu this weekend. After messing around with it for about 10 hours I realized that I could just install Debian and install 3.4 myself and get the exact same functionality.

Kubuntu did not impress me at all. It's no where near Ubuntu proper and for a first 'release' I found it chock full of annoyances and with a lackluster polish. I can get the same desktop with a couple of apt-get's and that to me makes Kubuntu very unimpressive. I figured there would be quite a bit more done with the default desktop...but alas, it even had a default KDE theme wallpaper with it. How disappointing!

The two distros that do impress me are PCLinuxOS and SimplyMEPIS...both proper implementations of KDE with polish and minus the nit noid annoyances.
Abe

Mar 21, 2005
9:16 AM EDT
devnet: Like I said, this is their first crack at it. At least you should appreciate their response to requests of having a KDE based version which to me is a big thing and I am sure it is for many others. I know, it is easy to install Debian and then KDE, but it is much easier for newbies to have all installed and ready in a clean organized fashion. Usually, all distros have various problems at first, which they clean out later. But Kubuntu, I didn't really have any problems. What impressed me the most, although not fully featured yet, is Kynaptic. It makes Installing/Upgrading/Removing applications a breeze. A search option would be great. I am sure they will have a better boot for the LiveCD, they will have an "Install Me", They will have a more polished themes and some luster to suite your liking. I suggest you look ahead and foresee how it will be in the future. Give it time my friend, give it time. And remember, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", right?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!