Author Content
devnet

Mar 22, 2005
6:50 AM EDT
Pink is the new SCO! Good Lord, everyone knows that! Sun was sooooo 2004! :P
PaulFerris

Mar 22, 2005
7:14 AM EDT
devvy: you're just mad because I didn't lead with the headline: "Sun: Doomed to failure!" :-)
tadelste

Mar 22, 2005
7:26 AM EDT
He has a point, Paul. Doomed to failure has some drama to it.
peragrin

Mar 22, 2005
8:46 AM EDT
Wouldn't

Sun is going Supernova, to take out it's competition.

make more sense?

Of course afer the supernova's stars die. Just don't be to close when they go off.
PaulFerris

Mar 22, 2005
9:01 AM EDT
Tom: it's worse than that though -- no one has just spotted (except for me just now) that the title was supposed to be "Rant Mode Equals One: What if Sun is the next SCO?"

Crap.
dinotrac

Mar 22, 2005
10:06 AM EDT
Oh, Paulie! you have really have taken a long leap into a short space with this one.

Sun = SCO?

It'll take a lot more than alphabetic similarities and Microsoft money to pull that off.

The main thing to remember: Scott McNealy may be many things, but he is also the utlimate egomaniac.

That will keep him from paying too much fealty to Redmond, even as he does whatever he thinks is needed to save his company.

Let's not forget -- at it's best, SCO was a nice little company with a nice little business. Sun was a genuine giant and McNealy a respected (if not always liked) Titan of the Industry.

Rather than SCO, I would say Sun is the next Apple -- though we have yet to see if McNealy can hold a candle to Steve Jobs WRT to majical transformations.

devnet

Mar 22, 2005
10:51 AM EDT
I would say Sun = Delusion. It's the closest thing I can get to a comparison.

i.e.,

Man, I took so many drugs I was Sunlusional!
peragrin

Mar 22, 2005
11:12 AM EDT
Devnet, And Steve Jobs isn't delusional?

Remember it was jobs that had the reality distortion field invented. Of course he also has the only working version. Every other CEO seems to be using a cheap MSFT based knock off. McNealy's isn't quite working sometimes criss-crossing realities. Hence why Sun seems wishy washy in it's stances.
devnet

Mar 22, 2005
2:41 PM EDT
I can picture Jobs as Uncle Rico and Nealy as Napoleon Dynamite...both purchasing a time machine on the web ;)
PaulFerris

Mar 22, 2005
4:48 PM EDT
dino: Sun the next Apple? I guess it's certainly possible -- they're both likely on a tight leash now.

Or it could be worse -- I'm obviously in serious speculation mode here. One thing for certain, the elephants are dancing...

dinotrac

Mar 22, 2005
5:00 PM EDT
And if they're dancing, I'm staying off the floor...
Libervis

Mar 22, 2005
5:33 PM EDT
One thing is certain: Being careful wont hurt! I mean, if Solaris code really get's into Gnu/Linux, it may really become a problem some day... Not that i think any problem, supernova, giant elephants and Sun falling on to Earth can really stop the explosion of Free Software and GNU/Linux adoption.

All else, including software patents, are feeble attempts to crush it. Why? For one, because i wont ever let it, no matter if i have to break the law by using and supporting Free Software! And there are thousands and million others like me.

So, i say, either adapt to the linux world or eventually die of. No schemes, nothing can stop us. *proudly and confidently shouting* :)

Thank you Daniel
dinotrac

Mar 22, 2005
7:02 PM EDT
devnet :

So, if I understand you correctly, all will be solved if only Sun will turn away from Mr. Bill and vote for Pedro?
devnet

Mar 23, 2005
7:02 AM EDT
Dino,

That and they should make their official mascot a Tigon!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!