Bizarre marketing scheme

Story: Burn, Tux, burn!Total Replies: 1
Author Content
longship

Mar 27, 2005
10:18 AM EDT
Nowhere on the Nero Web site can one purchase Nero Linux. Apparently, the only license for Nero Linux requires you to buy Nero 6 for Windows. I may be incorrect about this but Nero's Web site doesn't list Nero Linux in their product offerings any other way.

Linux users are not necessarily against commercial software, or even proprietary software. However, many Linux users are not endeared to Microsoft Windows. Requiring the purchase of a Windows product in order to use a Linux product is just too weird. What were the folks at Nero smoking when they came up with this scheme?
SFN

Mar 28, 2005
7:18 AM EDT
That angle hadn't occurred to me. I saw it as an opportunity for existing Nero users to move to Linux without losing Nero.

Although it could be viewed as Linux users being forced to to buy a Windows license, that's just perception. It's the same idea as ID and Epic making Windows versions of Q3 and UT2Kx and making Linux installers available free of charge.

The user still pays the same either way. The company is simply not required to put out two separate boxed versions.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!