fedora 3 installin issue on toshiba satellite laptop

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
kozandr

Apr 02, 2005
1:57 AM EDT
I just got the fedora core 3 and when i was trying to install it after i made a partition for it with PM8 through my XP system it wouldn't run past running install... running/sbin/loader _ (sometimes it blinks sometimes not)

i tried every single bypass option - "noprobe" etc. that was mentioned before the install and it still didn't do anything for me. I allocated 7gb to my linux partition with the PM8 and a swap of 500mb just as it was recommended by the PM8 and yet i had not luck in trying to get to run the CD past that point (see above). Is there anything you can suggest that i can do to install it or maybe there's an issue with the CD. My system is toshiba satellite 5005-s504 laptop and after some research i found out that fedor core is the best distribution for the machine...so im kinda frustrated with the situation. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mvermeer

Apr 03, 2005
5:26 AM EDT
Does this help: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/39/2005/02/3... Or this: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-50.html
otis_2

Apr 04, 2005
7:48 AM EDT
First, I would download and burn Ubuntu. Try it, it has very good hardware detection. Also, once installed, it can easily be upgraded to the new release (Hoary) if you want to live on the "bleeding edge".

If you're determined to stay Redhat based, then boot yout Fedora CD again, and at the prompt try the following kernel options (individually or perhaps both of them):

allowcddma noapic

I have a laptop as well, and I recall having to use those kernel options when I installed an older version of Redhat.

One other thing, if you are really a Redhat fan, you could also try CentOS 4. It's a community based version of Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 4. It would be a little more stable and better tested than Fedora (in theory anyway).

Cheers!

You cannot post until you login.