The "F" and "U" in FUD

Story: Microsoft campaign targets Linux reliabilityTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
SFN

Apr 06, 2005
8:08 AM EDT
"'We found that the Linux environment provided about 15 percent more end user loss of productivity,' Taylor claims. Over the 26 hour test period spread over four days, the Red Hat systems had services down for 4 hours, 59 minutes and 44 seconds, while the Windows system had users waiting for services for 4 hours, 20 minutes and 19 seconds, according to a copy of the study, which was conducted by VeriTest."

39 minutes and 25 seconds is 15% of 4 hours 59 minutes and 44 seconds?

BOTH operating systems had services down for between and four and five hours out of 26 hours?

26 hours?!?!

I'm sorry but WTF?
SFN

Apr 06, 2005
8:12 AM EDT
"39 minutes and 25 seconds is 15% of 4 hours 59 minutes and 44 seconds?"

My bad. Should read "39 minutes and 25 seconds is 15% of 4 hours 20 minutes and 19 seconds?" Which it is. Mea culpa.

The rest stands.
dinotrac

Apr 06, 2005
10:38 AM EDT
Ummm...

I don't doubt that Windows servers are easier and quicker to get back up when the fix to a problem is known.

I'm still amazed that I have hair after more than eight years of Linux use.

But...

This test was cleverly constructed to favor Windows -- and still manage to show nearly no difference.

Of course, they left out one common source of delay in trouble-shooting Linux systems: The frantic search for the root password because you haven't had to log in to the box as root since --- oh, who knows?

Reaction time is only one component of reliability and is not the most important one. The most important component is how often you have to react. Not having any trouble beats resolving trouble quickly every time.

AnonymousCoward

Apr 06, 2005
3:17 PM EDT
Just wanted to second dinotrac's comment about the root password. It's typically about a year.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!