Oh please...How disingenuous can you be?

Story: Linux? No Thanks.Total Replies: 4
Author Content
dinotrac

Apr 06, 2005
4:05 PM EDT
The firm is not anti-Linux?

You need look no further than the framing of the language to see that isn't true.

I remember 1999, when the ERP company I worked for decided to port it's Unix product to NT (don't know if the product ever actually came out before the company went bankrupt and got bought out and reorganized). Even though a Linux port would have been trivial (much of the product had actually been developed on Linux because a Linux lover was the key developer), they didn't want to "waste" ANY effort in that direction because Linux was a fringe platform for which there was not demand.

And now -- 27% of mid-sized companies are using it? Companies that, for the most part, were already automated on some other platform?

Sounds like pretty spectacular success to me. I'll bet Novell would have killed for that market share prior to buying SuSE.

And what's with the "not free" stuff because people charge for things? Since when was it promised that nobody would charge for anything? If you want to go to the trouble, you can put together a very nice linux box without paying any software licenses.

Time being money, however, many businesses opt to pay reasonable fees to short-circuit the process.

That's how business works, something the author should know.

devnet

Apr 06, 2005
4:17 PM EDT
dino,

They're all a bunch of silly type persons...I fart in their general direction.
dinotrac

Apr 06, 2005
7:55 PM EDT
devnet -

But please be so kind to stand downwind of me when you do...

;0)
mvermeer

Apr 07, 2005
4:21 AM EDT
It's Daniel Lyons. Need I say more? And as Dino says, 27% is huge...
SFN

Apr 07, 2005
5:22 AM EDT
Info-Tech, eh? My boss decided that it would be useful to subscribe to their newsletter that gives you "the knowledge, steps and tools to get the job done right!" I stopped paying reading their stuff after a few months because their articles give you no real detail about the covered topic and they all get summed up with "although technology-X can give you a lot of benefits, you need to make sure that it will work with your infrastructure". So it's been a while since I read anything they put out.

What a lovely way to be re-introduced to them.

Our company offers a bonus to anyone who can provide a plan to cut unnecessary spending. It would appear that Info-Tech's loss is my gain. And I've been watching Alembic basses on eBay...............

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!