SCO and the GPL

Story: Will SCO Case Make The Finish Line?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
phubert

Apr 07, 2005
4:55 AM EDT
Well, does Linux have anything to do with the GPL? Isn't one of the key elements SCO has been attacking the GPL, itself?

Many hoped one result of this litigation would be the judicial affirmation OF the GPL.

The demise of SCO is unlikely to set any precedents. Many corporations and individuals over the years have filed lawsuits on shaky grounds. That aspect of SCO's activity is nothing new.

One hope is that IBM continues to pursue its counterclaims. As always, we shall see.
PaulFerris

Apr 07, 2005
9:22 AM EDT
Paul, I suspect that SCO's name and attack have obviously suffered too much damage to proceed. For someone to put more cash into the device /dev/SCO/null now becomes an impossibility.

Maybe another vendor will attack the GPL, though. They might (I'm guessing here) start by belittling the GPL in public. Maybe even go as far as to openly make a stupid statement like the GPL causes damage to 3rd world counties IP by forcing it to be free to the United States, for example.

Just a wild prediction here.

--FeriCyde
phubert

Apr 07, 2005
10:44 AM EDT
Paul, yes, I doubt anyone sees a significant threat -from- SCO at this point. The article, however, addresses the hope many had that this case might result in an actual judicial affirmation OF the GPL. Still, as I understand it, Eben Moglen and others have actively or are actively pursuing GPL -violations-. If these efforts have resulted in court judgments (I expect some have, but cannot certify to it), then judicial precedence is already being set. But more is always better than less... :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!