new user, need help with installin program

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
killercrazyeyes

Apr 07, 2005
8:32 AM EDT
Hello everyone,

I am a Linux newbie(only about 4 months new) and thought I would post here for some advice. I am currently taking a Linux class and I am really starting to enjoy Linux. Right now the distributions I am working with are Fedora Core 3, Mandrake 10.1 and Knoppix. I'm getting pretty good with the command line but don't really know my way around the GUI. I would like to learn how install programs and where to get them. The first thing I would like to do is learn to install adobe reader 7.0 from the tar.gz. I am not sure how extract and where to put these files. Any help would be greatly appreciated. if you need more info please advise.

Thanks

KCE-
peragrin

Apr 07, 2005
12:17 PM EDT
from the commandline or GUI?

If KDE, karchivier(?) automatically decompresses the files Gnome should have something similar, mandrake and fedora shoud have it install by default.

from commad line -- tar zvxf filename.tar.gz --should uncompress it (*.gz files are compressed) and then untar it(*.tar files are lot's of files tarred and feathered together). (*.gz can only compress one file, unlike *.zip which can do both)

This is a news forum. The best place to get questions answered is http://www.linuxquestions.org/ There is a Wiki there setup for Users. Common problems are easy to figure out, but if you have diffculty try asking as many different people as posssible the correct answer will come out.
killercrazyeyes

Apr 07, 2005
6:32 PM EDT
Peragrin,

Thanks a million this is what I was looking for
Kandalf

Jun 15, 2005
1:37 AM EDT
Installing programs for each distro is almost the same but with few differences. Fedora packages are RPM. Mandrake prefers RPM but Mandrake RPMS are different than Fedora.

Easiest way of getting around packages serching for RPM in FTP servers. Ypu can find most of them there.

The other way is apt4rpm. Fedora Core 3 and other RPM based distrubitions have it. apt4rpm homepage is the url below.

http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/
Abe

Jun 15, 2005
9:05 AM EDT
If you are killercrazyeyes, what do you want Linux for?!!! Just kidding. Don't miss on the ease of use and user friendliness of MEPIS & Kubuntu, the learning experience from Suse (Buy the package with books from stores). Also, you have to check out KDE 3.4.1. For a newbie, I suggest you experience GUI first. At least you will get familiar with what Linux has to offer, which is basically everything you would need from a desktop except some commercial apps, which I think your are not interested in at this point. Start with your best friend on the Internet, Google to look for things. Enjoy.

You cannot post until you login.