Could somebody tell where MS's $1 billion R&D go to?

Story: Google, Firefox offerings shame MicrosoftTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
hkwint

Apr 10, 2005
10:53 AM EDT
Yeah, speaking of this, where does the $1billion R&D * of Microsoft go? I really don't know. Or it must be that MS car-system integrated in some new Fiat cars (Fiat is an Italian autobrand in case you wonder). Great, you're driving, get a blue screen, and your car crashes... BMW knows this, please check http://rivarola.free.fr/humour/images/bmw.jpg to see what I mean (Great pic!). But more serious, can anyone tell me where the $1 billion went?

*This 1 billion is an estimate I got from the Dutch weekly 'Technisch Weekblad'. They say $6.2 billion in their financial reports because of some laws, but because of that laws, anything that isn't marketing must be booked as R&D if I understood well, so according to the paper, $1 billion should come close to their real spending on R&D.
AnonymousCoward

Apr 10, 2005
4:58 PM EDT
I wouldn't be surprised to see it going into discounting to key customers in the guise of a study.
phsolide

Apr 11, 2005
7:05 AM EDT
This has been a mystery for years. I once talked to a University of Colorado CS department head - he was rueful that one of his star professors/researchers went to Microsoft Research.

I've heard others refer to Microsoft Research as a "research roach hotel" - researchers check in, and nothing comes out.

Which isn't entirely true. Occasionally, MSFT Researchers do publish a paper.

My own theory is that MSFT has so much money they're paying everyone who they think could potentially come up with a competitive idea to gaze at their navels, research-wise. That is, MSFT pays creatively comp sci people to do research, but then subtly channels the research into venues that don't make any difference.

Oh, yeah. Another theory: MSFT didn't really spend $1 billion - that's just some creative accounting. Sort of like the "cool $X million" that Mac shill Bruce Tognazinni used to talk about, with respect to research backing up the correctness of the Mac interface. It never existed as near as anyone can tell.
Armand

Apr 11, 2005
2:21 PM EDT
It goes to the same creative accounting process that Warren Buffet's AIG accountants use.
Koriel

Apr 12, 2005
12:36 AM EDT
I thought Microsofts idea of R&D was to buy other companies and their associated technology *cough* Giant *cough*.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!