What a bizarre article...

Story: The BitKeeper Example: A Bad Development ModelTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
dinotrac

Apr 13, 2005
6:08 PM EDT
Let me get this straight...

This proves that proprietary tools are bad because...

1. Linus chose a tool that would do the job he needed when no free or open tools were available.

2. By Linus's own estimation, the tool made him at least doubled his productivity, and vastly improved the process of delivering kernels

3. The tool is not part of the kernel, but merely ("merely"?) houses it. No part of the kernel goes away with the tool.

4. The tool gave Linus and kernel developers a chance to experience its goods and its bads, and to better understand how the needs of the kernel development community can best be served...

and:

5. NOBODY and NOBODY's CODE is being held hostage.

If Linus and company had taken the only copies of the Linux source tree and squirelled it away in some proprietary repository from which it could never be extracted, I might be tempted to say "Ah hah!!"

As it is, "It was nice while it lasted" seems more appropriate.

devnet

Apr 14, 2005
2:36 AM EDT
Another odd thing...I wonder if Linus runs anything on Mac OSX or perhaps has a cell phone with some form of Windows on it. If so! Gasp! He should throw that crap away!!!!

Stupid. That's what everyone is being. Purists need to realize that just because they can be pure with their small scope of functions doesn't mean that a major developer can be pure with their wide scope of functions.

I wish people would stop being dumb.
peragrin

Apr 14, 2005
3:36 AM EDT
You will never get people to stop wanting to be pure Open Source. In fact you should encourage all those who can to do so.

We need those people to keep pushing. itcan be annoying at times but those people pushing are the engine that allows others to only change partially.

I could see problems with bitkeeper being controled by one company(what would of happend if MSFT bought bitkeeper?) But come on, until open solutions can compare you might have to use some closed ones. heck look at hurd developement.
SFN

Apr 14, 2005
5:36 AM EDT
"I wish people would stop being dumb."

And world peace. Don't forget about world peace.

And that Hostess would go back to the original formula for Ho-Ho's.
devnet

Apr 14, 2005
6:37 AM EDT
mmmmm....Ho-Ho's.... :-P
dinotrac

Apr 14, 2005
8:34 AM EDT
While wishing:

And that TastyKake Butterscotch Krimpets would appear in far-west suburban Chicagoland.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!