A few things to work out first...

Story: Editorials: Why everyone should use Mozilla FirefoxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Apr 14, 2005
8:39 AM EDT
I stand shoulder to shoulder with you on all of the points you make, but there is a constant problem with Firefox and thunderbird in linux. I understand that each one of these were designed to be a stand-alone application but in linux, it is an absolute nightmare to get a hyperlink in tbird to open a firefox browser. Forum entries in Suse, PCLinuxOS, Kanotix, Mepis and fc1/2/3 all report the inability of thunderbird to initiate a firefox browser when a hyperlink is clicked. Of all the places, Linspire actually published a work-around for this and due to its length, I will not post it here. However, the "fix" includes a very complex about:config hack in firefox and I for one refuse to spend 45 minutes of my time fixing something that should not even be an issue. Now, it depends on where you stand...if you are a linux purist, you could care less about issues such as this. This type of tweaking is what you live for. I distribute anywhere from 9-15 linux disks a week to my customers to try to spread the word. Do you think the uninitiated is going to understand or even want to jump through these hoops? Never mind, it was a rehtorical question. Point is, the mozilla suite does what tbird/ffox should be doing. They should be offered as a suite OR as a stand alone application. I received a very rude response from the people at Mozilla during a PAID tech session trying to get this straightened out. The tech as much as called me an idiot while he was processing my credit card number. I had no idea of what the about:config command line was and I doubt most new to intermediate users do either. Linux will never achieve a competitive edge as long as the "old school" developers have the steering wheel.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 14, 2005
2:23 PM EDT
helios

>> "... but there is a constant problem with Firefox and thunderbird in linux... ", really?

By accident I saw it work. Earlier, I opened an email from Thunderbird 1.0.2 in a separate email (letter) window - hit the button to allow the graphics [it was from the AAA, assumed it was safe] and after reading a bit I happened to hit a link in the email. I remembered only afterward I had no browser open, but one appeared with the story. I was a bit taken aback and unsure which browser had opened - checking it was Firefox 1.0.2 and not the Mozilla that also resides on this machine.

A few more specifications: Mandrake 10.1 Offical, AMD Athlon 2600+, a mix of DDR RAM 1G, and a good size Seagate hard drive.

I hate people that just state they have had no problem, of the specifics I have cited perhaps part of your problem due to older versions of either or both Firefox and Thunderbird (this is my first version of TB as my mailer, hence I have no experience with past behaviour). We do differ in the distribution, but from my own experiences I know that Mandrake can be flaky, hence, I will NOT assert that is your solution. Perhaps limited memory could be making your problems worse. While at first I was going to say not much configuration tweaking was done, Thunderbird is setup to exchange encrypted messaging with rather large key and in addition send encoded signatures. I would have expected the latter two to contribute having problems elsewhere. However, in my experience just today and at other times when Firefox has been opened I have had no problem, that I remember, when hitting a link in an email and going to the site.

I know simply saying I have had no problem does not mitigate your problem, however, I hope my being explicit in the description might help. Also I hope it assures you that I am not one of those oblivious people one encounters in software testing that blandly sees no problems. Too many times I have been the recipient of messages assuring me that the flaws I have discovered were absent. Sadly they were mistaken. By training I am a critical observer and I wish to assure you on some systems it works.
helios

Apr 15, 2005
11:08 AM EDT
I think this is what frustrates me most...in all the aforementioned threads, there were those who did as you lament..."no problem here, tough luck pal." But then there were the majority of those responding to the thread who were having the same problem. I make it no secret that I am a linux Consumer...not guru or geek. I want to install my os, tweak and add my chosen software and get to work. The Mozilla people are obviously aware of this problem as they parroted the solution to me previously discovered in the linspire forums. I don't know...It just seems like a level three tech solution to get the desired results of an open hyperlink, but I repeat myself, my apologies. I have resigned myself and have come to enjoy the Mozilla Suite, however my bigger concern is for System Linux. This in my opinion is a superior OS and can one day rival OS X and kick the tires flat on Windows XP/Longhorn/whatever. A fanboi...no. A man who see's the way it should be and at the same time seeing why it isn't. If I didn't feel so strong about it, I wouldn't waste your time or mine banging out my opinion. I have faith that the newer blood in this community will right these inconsistancies sooner rather than later. Why such optimism on my part? Look at the strides Linux has made in three years...achievements it took MS 15 to accomplish. Yes I am frustrated by these problems...but I am still hopeful that someone much smarter than I can fix them.

helios
TxtEdMacs

Apr 15, 2005
3:11 PM EDT
helios: believe me, I was not trying light of your problems with Thunderbird. My experience has been until recently with the Mozilla mailer, whose contents I have been trying to move from another Mandrake machine onto this one. Perhaps I should have been reading the documentation, because I have discovered some very strange behaviour. For example renaming a parent folder and seeming to lose all content in the still present subfolders. Somehow, I would guess that was not the intended behaviour or take my trying to remove an empty subfolder that once I approved the dumping altered me to the presence of a folder with the same name. At that point it asked if I wished to rename the folder. First if I deleted a folder with the same name that resides in the Trash bin, what's the problem? Second even trying to rename the folder did not work. I resorted to the command line to rid myself of this ghost file.

I assumed my difficulties arose from my haste to just complete the file transfers (there were many others) and I think that following the structures I found in the Mozilla mailer did indeed lead me astray. However, a few of the aforementioned anomalies still seem strange and I think something is amiss.

I share your long term confidence, but even if F/OSS fails to exceed or even match fully the closed options in most cases I will still chose the free(dom) version.
helios

Apr 16, 2005
6:20 PM EDT
Oh yeah...I think you and I can hang out on that. You know...in 15 years of computing and little over 1 year of Linux experience, I finally understand that Microsoft not only restricts its users...it punishes them (read: DRM). I would no more consider using a Microsoft operating system than I would consider recreational chemotherapy. The Linux community is a family...an arguementitive family, but a family non the less. Many believe that the current financial structure of Linux is destined to fail and only 2 or 3 companies like RH and Suse will survive and lead the industry...I don't know. What I do know is that I can reach out and communicate with people like you, express my opinion, receive yours in return and actually come away from the exchange a bit more informed. It seems to me that the only bond the windows users have is the dollar amount they spent on their systems, and possibly to a person who helped them through some BSOD episode. I sincerely hope that the types of problems that prompted this post get worked out because the community (regardless of distro) deserves the best.

And btw...the last time I fooled around and tried to fix a problem like you mention above, it involved changing my chrome files. I believe the result of that manipulation caused a small village in South Africa to explode. So much for tinkering.

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!