I agree, too a point

Story: Open Source, Mugged by Reality?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
sharkscott

Apr 18, 2005
11:38 PM EDT
Yes, Open source should be about free(as in freedom, if your a follower of "you know who")software to obtain and do as you wish, but if anyone thinks that "Professional" support is going to come free of charge, then they are "high" if you catch my drift. I love my open source software just like everyone else but if I want anything other than Forum(peer) support for my chosen software to use then I better expect to be ready to pay for it. Personally, I am perfectly fine with paying for "professional" support if I choose to pay for it. Let's face it, if you are not just a regular "Home user" then as a software and/or IT Manager then you better have a support plan ready to to go for everyone in the company that you work for that is not as familiar with the system as you are. Let's be real, if you are not "ok" with paying for support then you are living in a dream world. I am not trying to start a fight but if you take a minute to look at it from a business standpoint then, yes, there is ALOT of money to be made from providing support for ANY product, Open Source or not. There are a million business models out there for service based businesses, no matter what you are servicing whether it is washing machines or operating systems. If people have the idea that absolutely everything that has to do with your computer HAS to be free in order for it to be of value then they are on a crusade that cannot be won. No matter who you are if someone helps you fix your stuff and you want them to "stand behind" what they have done, then you should expect to pay for it.
r_a_trip

Apr 19, 2005
4:38 AM EDT
Sharkscott: You are preaching to the choir. To paraphrase RMS: "Free refers to Freedom, not price".

Anyone with the desire to offload computer maintenance to someone else better expect a bill in the mailbox. Even my computer usage is not for free, I put in my time.

The tone of the article is negative though. It implies that FOSS was/is being done by unrealistic airheads who are now being saved by the suits. That simply isn't true. It's the "airheads" who have forced the suits to change their view on software.
sharkscott

Apr 19, 2005
6:54 AM EDT
Absolulety, I am preaching to the choir. When I wrote it I knew that I wasn't going to catch much grief here but I guess that I was just trying to somewhat clarify the situation. You and I both know that there are people out there that are a "little" militant about Open-Source. Obviously I am with you in that the articles tone is one that all of a sudden, this Linux thing is going to work because the "suits" are getting involved. what a bunch of crap! I guess I was just trying to get it through that nothing is absolutely free, even free software, and anyone who really thinks that it is or can be is dreaming, bigtime.
helios

Apr 19, 2005
7:28 AM EDT
.....this Linux thing is going to work because the "suits" are getting involved. what a bunch of crap! I guess I was just trying to get it through that nothing is absolutely free, even free software, and anyone who really thinks that it is or can be is dreaming, bigtime.

Sharkscott...We've seen this before and now we are seeing it again. What happens when the "airheads" morph into the "suites" (read: google). Some would argue that we now have the best of both worlds, others scream "traitor!, turncoat!". The smell of money is a powerful thing. What was Google trading for at the opening bell this morning? Whaddaya want to bet the Berkenstocks have been shelved for the Italian loafers over there. ;-)

h

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!