Lack Of Software May Dampen Dual-Core

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Armand

Apr 21, 2005
3:24 PM EDT
It would appear to be a bit early to hop onto the dual-core turnip truck. While the new processors will run current software like Windows 2000 and Windows XP, these programs and others aren't written to support two processors.

http://www.webpronews.com/news/itnews/wpn-41-20050421LackofS...

What has also been released with multi-processor units is a general lack of software. The software will trickle in over the coming months, but we'll have to wait until Longhorn is released (in 15 months) to fully realize their potential. Are we to believe there won't be faster and better multi-core processors developed in a year and half?

Ahhh... Poor Windows Lusers have no software to run the big iron :_(
TxtEdMacs

Apr 22, 2005
6:28 AM EDT
When you quote the story or another source, please indicate it with quotes: '"' or tags [ ... ](sorry tags not showing, they are interpreted as real here).

Until the last line I was thinking LXer had gone big time and had gained Microsoft's attention so that it had to begin 'Astroturfing' the content so the readers would get the 'real' scoop (poopy as in NYC). They have a history of doing such things, check out the history of IBM's OS/2 bbs or look at many of the comments on /.

It will happen here too, unless and perhaps not even after MS brings out a copy of its Linux.
phsolide

Apr 22, 2005
11:13 AM EDT
As far as MSFT astroturfing: http://www.users.qwest.net/~eballen1/msft.shilling.html contains a summary of serious news sources that show MSFT does plant shills in even the most obscure of forums.

That page does not include connections like MSFT's sub rosa funding of SCO's anti-Linux litigation (which may never receive adequate documentation) nor does it list the AdTI and Ken Brown's anti-Linus book, which apparently never got published.

I have heard rumors that the most zealous of pro-Linux, F*ck-Microsoft-style advocates are actually MSFT or Wagg-Ed plants. I have heard rumors that Wagg-Ed pays people to troll on Slashdot and GrokLaw. I'm inclined to believe the "troll Slashdot" rumors. The number of pro-MSFT viewpoints (from extremely tepid to over-the-top) expressed there is way, way out of line.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 22, 2005
11:40 AM EDT
phsolide: I just examined the link you posted and I have to agree with the conclusion. For example, I have friends that value MS and its products and they are skilled, honest people working in IT. However, when I act as a moderator as I just had on /. most of the time I find it very difficult to give any credence to a pro MS stance, particularly when their experience is so counter to mine. When the writer is anonymous or backed an alias with a rather high user id I cannot help but be suspicious.

Regarding the events at the OS/2 site, at first those involved bragged about their easy success in subverting IBM efforts only later when it became apparent how sleazy their actions were perceived that they began to deny all involvment.

Armand: Read it this morning somewhere on AMD's plans to bring out server dual cores first - the applications are there ready to take advantage of the increased performance (particularly on Linux)- they are RDBMS (just do not use Oracle - they see dual core as two chips).
cjcox

Apr 22, 2005
1:34 PM EDT
If you follow the linux-kernel newsgroup you'll see discussions about dual core there as well.
pat

Apr 23, 2005
6:12 PM EDT
What we need is a web-of-trust for people to post to sites like this. For example, I wouldn't be able to post unless I prove that I'm really who I say I am. That could be either by sending the fine gentleman notorized proof of my identity or by having so many people vouch for me in person. cacert.org is doing something similar. While it won't stop the trolls it will allow us to find them.
PaulFerris

Apr 24, 2005
4:49 AM EDT
Weighing in on the atroturfing topic (can I resist?) -- I can say beyond a shadow of doubt that this type of activity is real. If you want another Linux journalists opinion -- ask Joe Barr.
PaulFerris

Apr 24, 2005
5:15 AM EDT
phsolide: great link -- the register story about IIS is a great one. It's kind of subtle, however, in its content:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/09/26/ms_targets_linux_mac...

Basically, they got some inside information about Microsoft's sales techniques, and posted a good portion of it to the press -- then waited for the astroturf to roll in. See, they held out on publishing all of the contents, with the hope that someone would be stupid enough to use portions that the general public would not have access to.

What I was referring to above (in more detail).

When I first got started writing editorials on Linux, long ago, I used to get these personal email messages that had a familiar ring to them. All of them.

Now, I know what some of you might be thinking. "Paul, you had genuine, honest contact with someone who simply had pro-Microsoft sentiments". No, I'm not talking about those. Those were easy to spot, and believe it or not, I take the time to reply to people -- those people would write back and usually, the worst that would happen was an agreement to disagree -- I'm pretty diplomatic in my coorespondence (I know it's hard to believe, but Dinotrac and I only talk to each other this way in public).

These emails were different. It's been quite a long time since I got email like this -- I think they've branded me as either a hopeless case (can't be swayed by subterfuge) or worse, someone who's likely to turn the guns back on them, causing a much larger problem than any bad technical press. Gee, that'd be a stretch now, wouldn't it ;)

Anyway, the funny thing about these email messages -- they always had half-truths that at the core that any technical person would laugh off as utter stupidity. I suspect they had no idea that I had a ton of IT experience, and could easily spot this kind of nonsense -- but my best guess is that they were semi-technical people that had been given a hit-list of things to say that sounded plausable.

They also weren't really very good at responding to me -- and I was always polite. My guess is that if you're that dishonest, any conversation you hold is going to open up further discovery of what's going on.

Anyway, the thing that would help as a community is discussion -- nothing sheds light on lies more than some good old-fashioned truth. Hold what they're saying up to the light of truth, and it always falls apart like the house of cards it really is.
Armand

Apr 25, 2005
10:54 PM EDT
Was it something I said ;)

Well I'm glad I got TxtEdMacs's attention... I submited a story to /. about Jeff Merkey being granted some patent on distributed file back ups on a token ring network. Of course /. did not publish it but the next thing I know TxtEdMacs has the exact same story posted on LXer.

Dave never publishes any stories I submit to LXer either... so I post stupid things in the forums like this.

Is M$ going to charge a dual processor license fee for the dual core cpu's?

And yes... postgresql had AMD64 optimizations about a year ago already and of course dual processor ready.
dinotrac

Apr 26, 2005
3:32 AM EDT
What's all this concern with astroturf?

It certainly beats mowing.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 26, 2005
7:14 AM EDT
Armand - never had an item I suggested for posting on /. accepted. This is despite seeing some instances where my rejected suggestion appeared later. Moreover, just recently I was (last week) moderating every day - am I glad it has cooled down that I have been on for at least a day and two days between moderation requests. I NEVER meta moderate - who wants more chances to moderate!

Regarding the Merkey item, I do not even remember even submitting anything recently - I have been too busy and just recently began to post here and elsewhere again. [That was way back in early March! Seems like ages ago. Don't feel bad, Dave has passed on a number of my suggestions too.]
Armand

Apr 26, 2005
1:09 PM EDT
It's this post right here:

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/32513/index.html

I thought you might be CmdrTaco or something and ripped off my story.. Sorry.. my bad.

TxtEdMacs

Apr 26, 2005
4:16 PM EDT
Armand said: "I thought you might be CmdrTaco or something and ripped off my story.. Sorry.. my bad."

Armand - Sorry I emailed him a few times, but I do not even play him on TV.

You cannot post until you login.