Linux Today scores again with obnoxious ads

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Apr 25, 2005
5:46 PM EDT
For the one or two LXer regulars who also visit Linux Today- aren't those Novell ads a hoot? They didn't learn a thing from the "Linux Resource Center" (sponsored by Microsoft) debacle, and have found an even more annoying ad format.

For y'all deprived souls who are missing out- when you click on a story link, you are treated to the upper left corner of the "page" folding down to cover the story, with a Novell ad underneath. It goes away after a few seconds. It does not work in Konqueror, so hurrah for borken javascript. :) Or whatever makes it go.

I keep wondering why Linux Today is continually the victim of these atrocities. They don't seem to infest other Jupitermedia sites.

PaulFerris

Apr 26, 2005
2:25 AM EDT
Tux: unless things have changed, it's because LT had a lot of traffic.

I've seen (on other sites) those "peel" ads you're talking about. they suck. Fortunately adblock is a great plugin...
sbergman27

Apr 26, 2005
4:34 AM EDT
Did they ever do away with those deceptive MS ads? I added LT to my firewall configuration months ago and haven't been back.
Koriel

Apr 26, 2005
5:46 AM EDT
Never been back to LT, i like my news sites simple and uncluttered just like my head :)
PaulFerris

Apr 26, 2005
6:03 AM EDT
Koriel: here here! And I like the html layout to be nice and flat, just -er-

nevermind. I like the html layout of LXer!
sbergman27

Apr 26, 2005
6:41 AM EDT
I'd like to add my vote for the refreshing simplicity of LXer.com. Functional, professional looking, and *FAST*.
dave

Apr 26, 2005
7:08 AM EDT
That's the goal! And, in fact, you can even customize LXer to your own liking through your member preferences page. You can make it heavy with ads or light-for-lynx. :-)

dave

You cannot post until you login.