I Know this is going to upset some people, but ...

Story: New Debian Project Leader Takes ChargeTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Apr 26, 2005
7:34 AM EDT
This is another story I have not read, nor do I intend to for many reasons, hence, if that suffices for you to conclude these comments are uninformed - read no further.

The headline on this story makes much more sense than that exhibited on /. : "Branden Robinson Lays Down the Law at Debian". I know that some models have a supposed dictator at the head of free/open source projects (benign or otherwise), but unless that person is the initiator or the primary developer how does one dictate to volunteers? I think Linus said that leading/controlling a free software project was akin to herding cats.

If the latter has some fraction of veracity, I think someone is passing on the wrong impression. In closed source, one can perhaps fire, reduce pay, or transfer those unworthy, but here in the most democratic of projects a take charge guy has his work cut out for him. I only hope the headlines are misleading, because Debian does have some problems.
incinerator

Apr 26, 2005
8:02 AM EDT
Indeed, the title is misleading and the article itself is pretty bad, too.

I felt myself much better informed by reading the story from the "source" himself: Branden Robinson released his first DPL Report at http://people.debian.org/~branden/dpl/reports/2005-04-24.htm...

To bad the story even made it to /. labeled as an "interview" (although it isn't and the article doesn't claim it to be one, either).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!