Tough One: Duplicates

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Apr 27, 2005
7:05 AM EDT
I was interested in the story on the Firefox statistics for business usage, so I read it nearly immediately. Then I saw the second version, but in a different publications. It seemed to similar, more like an exact match. As a test I diff(ed) the files where I took only part of the file and added a phrase to one to be certain I would see the difference:

[txtedmacs@localhost FF-Stats-Test]$ diff --normal ShortInfoWeek.txt ShortDiffTest.txt 4c4 < What about now? No newline at end of file --- >

Then I took each complete file as text files and compared them:

[txtedmacs@localhost FF-Stats-Test]$ diff --normal InfoWeekAsTxt.txt InternetWeekAsTxt.txt [txtedmacs@localhost FF-Stats-Test]$

exact matches. Or for the really skeptical:

[txtedmacs@localhost FF-Stats-Test]$ diff -s InfoWeekAsTxt.txt InternetWeekAsTxt.txt Files InfoWeekAsTxt.txt and InternetWeekAsTxt.txt are identical [txtedmacs@localhost FF-Stats-Test]$

This drove me nuts in Unix on a Sun machine using the Korn shell diff -c would have sufficed where under bash I was mislead.

Before you post the story on Open Source financing I suggested, check to see if it too is not another duplicate. It appears to me to be too close to bother posting the one I found on the NYT site with the exact same title.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!