Spell Checker Problems

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Apr 28, 2005
6:28 AM EDT
Being the World's Second Worse Speller, I was shocked when I had to correct the same word twice prior to posting. The first version was just off, the second just was a missed letter. The Spell Checker missed both.

With all the great additions you have made to the site, I am sorry to bring this to your attention but I truly rely upon its reliable operation and retention of a modicum of sanity for your site visitors.
tuxchick

Apr 28, 2005
2:57 PM EDT
What about simply learning to spell? Relying on spellcheckers has only introduced a whole new generation of lame spelling errors. English is much too difficult for a mere machine to master.
helios

May 05, 2005
6:19 PM EDT
Hek, machins doo it bestest...my speling aint two bad if u plac it in contex

helios
hkwint

May 06, 2005
5:37 AM EDT
I agree with TxtEdMacs, since not all people over here are native English-speaking, and I'm one of them. I always use the spell checker, and even after that, I sometimes write want when I mean won't (pronunciation in American English is almost the same). You know, English language is really stupid sometimes (why do you write can't and say kent?), you can't blame the users for that (but that's in most languages by the way). And some people try to use difficult words to look smart (like me), but the whole effect is lost when you misspell that words. So yeah d00dz, som peepz realie needz the spelchekker to work. Imagine you had to write comments in a forum on a French site, using words like méconnaître, ingénierie or médicinalement or so, you'd like to use the spellchecker as well (at least to check those damn grave accent etc.). But it's great this site isn't in French anyway. (Another example: above I wrote allways instead of always. But when you mean all different ways, you had to write all ways, just to give an example of how confusing things can be).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!