Interesting point of view

Story: Java in OpenOffice.org: Proprietary trap or creative commons?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
mdl

Apr 28, 2005
2:31 PM EDT
I want to like Sun..... really I do. But I am one of those who mistrust Sun because: 1. They gave SCO a lot of $. 2. They got a lot of $ from M$ and I am not sure what all they gave up for it. A little to cozy for me. 3. They say they like Linux, but I don't see it in their actions. 4. They don't like the GPL.

I would feel better about Sun if they would "walk the walk", not just "talk the talk". To open source (GPL) Java and Solaris would be a good first step.

BTW, I do give credit to Sun for Open Office.
tuxchick

Apr 28, 2005
2:54 PM EDT
I don't believe Sun is trustworthy either. How can I? Their two biggest mouthpieces sound like a couple of 14-year old trash-talking homeboys. And they are desperate, and SCO has demonstrated how extremely stupidly desperate people can behave.

At the risk of sounding like a shill, and a stupid one because I'm not paid for it, I think Novell is the one to watch. They have everything- server, desktop, and really good network services and management. Many moons ago when I was a baby geek I considered getting some Novell certs, but at the time it didn't look like there was enough demand to make it worthwhile. Now I think it's a good time to go for it, Linux skillz and all.

I think Novell has it nailed in terms of product line and support, so the remaining question is how well are they going to support the F/OSS community, which gave them all that great code in the first place?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!