Not all the best. Not all the best.

Story: Top 10 Linux console applicationsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Fritz

Apr 29, 2005
12:19 AM EDT
A few comments. . .

Lynx - Woah, hold on. I hope he just got confused when typing Links. Because there is nothing lynx can do that links can't. However there are a lot of things that links can do that lynx can't. (Try reading that out loud) Frames, tables, stuff you NEED to realistically browse the web. Lynx is outdated, links is great.

Zed - I'll admit I haven't used this one, but what about pico? The author talks about pine, that means that they have pico installed, it could have at least gotten a mention. I personally like to recommend e3, it emulates WordStar, Emacs, Pico, Nedit, or vi, and it's less than 13k.

MySql - "Although many X and HTML front ends are available for MySQL, it's just as easy to create and maintain a database from the command line." Who are you kidding, I mean really. . .

x-chat-text - this is about the worst console irc program I've used. How about irssi, that's a great easy to use one, or epic, or even bitchx. Or to be really crazy, how about "irc". All of these seem to work better than x-chat-text.

I know I'm just nitpicking here, but some of the choices just struck me as bizzarre.

-> Fritz
AnonymousCoward

Apr 30, 2005
2:43 AM EDT
"links -dump -head http://lxer.com/" don't work so well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!