MSN being disabled for Firefox?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
SFN

Apr 29, 2005
6:57 AM EDT
If you open http://www.msn.com using Firefox, you will find yourself in a text-only interface with the explanation:

"Why does MSN look like this? Your browser cannot find our style and presentation information. You’re welcome to use the page as is, or upgrade your browser to its latest version. If you’re using Microsoft Internet Explorer, go to the Microsoft Internet Explorer website to install the latest version. If you are using another browser, see your browser’s website for more information."

This appears to be new as of today. I went to the site last night and it was the same as it has always been. Once you click one of the links, the resulting pages appear normally so all they have changed is the index page.

Just my opinion but this appears to be a blatant attempt to make Firefox look inadequate.

What a sad, pathetic attempt at chest puffing.
salparadise

Apr 29, 2005
6:59 AM EDT
Well I get MSN as usual when click on that link. Firefox on Ubuntu.
SFN

Apr 29, 2005
7:02 AM EDT
Hmmm, yes. Same thing here in Ubuntu. I was using Firefox on Windows. (I'm at work) Verified with others here too.

Anybody else see this in Windows' Firefox?
SFN

Apr 29, 2005
7:05 AM EDT
Scratch that last message. I DID get it as usual in Ubuntu. Just did a refresh. Text-only now.
Koriel

Apr 29, 2005
7:14 AM EDT
Appears to be working fine even after a couple of refreshes and a clear cache, still looks as horrible as it always was.

Edit1: this is Firefox under windows, will check it out in PCLinuxOS soon as i reboot

Edit2: works fine from firefox under pclinuxos
SFN

Apr 29, 2005
7:20 AM EDT
How bizarre. This is for everything at http://www.msn.com. Pages like search.msn.com or people.msn.com or anythingelse.msn.com all come out fine.

Certainly it has to be happening to somebody else as well.
kewl1uk

Jul 14, 2005
9:35 PM EDT
msn.com loads ok for me even after a few refreshes. SuSE 9.3 / Firefox / Gnome
cjcox

Jul 18, 2005
2:19 PM EDT
I have not seen the problem.. and I tried both fox 1.0.4 and 1.0.5... I'm running SUSE 9.3. Seems to work for me.
SFN

Jul 19, 2005
5:20 AM EDT
This problem appeared to be localized to users on our ISPs fiber network. I asked them about it and they said they weren't aware of any issues. The problem was resolved within a couple of hours of that call.

I was intrigued as to how that worked but wasn't motivated enough to explore it.

You cannot post until you login.