Just wondering.....

Story: Firefox Hits 50 Million DownloadsTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
mdl

Apr 30, 2005
4:16 PM EDT
How many of these downloads are new and how many are upgrades? We had 1.0, followed by 1.01, and are now up to 1.03. So I just wonder if we have 50 million users or 12.5 million who have downloaded all the upgrades. Anybody know how they keep score?
bstadil

Apr 30, 2005
10:14 PM EDT
This was covered by some of the Firefox folks after the story ran at Slashdot. Upgrades done with Firefox itself does not count.
phsolide

May 01, 2005
6:43 AM EDT
I have put firefox on 3 slackware machines and 3 Windows XP (ugh) machines. The 3 Slackware machines Firefox came from some slackware package site - they're not counted by the number above, eh? Oh, well, at least the XP machines got counted.
hkwint

May 01, 2005
11:13 AM EDT
Yes, I think you're right, they don't count Firefox for Linux, since it's almost impossible to find out how many times it's downloaded for al different distro's. Linux has a market share of 1-2% anyway, so if 50M people downloaded Firefox for windows, it's statistically < 1M for Linux. Since there are many good browsers for Linux, but no IE, I think around 50% of the Linux users use Firefox, so, statistically, there should have been 50,5 M downloads when it was anounced. It's interesting to watch the real time counter at http://www.infocraft.com/projects/ffcounter/ I calculated there are 250k (1/4M) downloads a day (last two days), so that's rahter fast.
TxtEdMacs

May 01, 2005
3:15 PM EDT
hkwint - a data point for you, that in some respects may seem disheartening.

At a Northeastern University my son attends, neither a sports nor a party school per se, but from his description of many its students' activities it is less academic than might be expected. Too many students indulge to an excess. This statistical data point applies to the undergraduates alone and not the post graduates students, professors or the IT.

Only 2% use Linux - this is explicable somewhat because most of the students have a single machine, which are mostly laptops. Linux has not worked as well as on the bigger, more standard component beige box types. Indeed until just prior to the Winter break my son was a rather nasty proponent of Windows XP Pro vis-i-vis Mandrake 10.0 that he was so fond of earlier the prior summer. MythTV changed everything for him - it just does not work well on XP. There is more but that can be told at another time.

Regarding Firefox, assuming most undergraduate users were using the "default" browser they were in for somewhat of a shock when attempting to connect to the university network. They were advised to select another browser with Firefox being either the preferred choice of one of those permissable. My impression from his words was that Firefox was essentially the default browser for the network.

Given that routine use of the network is where students are expected to turn in assignments, scheduling, registration, etc. this is not a small issue. I was very surprised to learn of this change. Let's hope it becomes the standard rather than the exception. However, reading /. I did not get the impression that many of the larger universities have [edit 5/2/05 inserting next word] NOT abandoned IE as was done here.

One more item: Linux is very big with the IT on this campus.
hkwint

May 02, 2005
10:32 AM EDT
I was just doing some statistic calculation using present-day statistics. I know, that 2% is going to change soon, upwards!
salparadise

May 02, 2005
12:46 PM EDT
Is my maths screwed or is 50 million far greater than 1%?

Surely, if 50 million = 1% then the other 99% represent nigh on 5 billion. And I don't believe for a minute that there are that many instances of IE.

Or is my maths screwed?
hkwint

May 13, 2005
5:51 AM EDT
salparadise: That 1-2% is the market share of Linux, not Firefox! (As the posted article told, it's 13% in Europe, and I guess about 9% in USA, so math tells us about 100M people use a browser to browse the web).
salparadise

May 13, 2005
8:45 AM EDT
OK Thought we were entering the realms of bistro-maths. (Or perhaps distro-maths would be better!)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!