self-inflicted wounds...

Story: MEPIS Linux Loses Another Support SiteTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
helios

May 12, 2005
7:43 AM EDT
I don't know Warren personally and I can only guess his motives, but I believe Devnet hinted at what may come to be found as the truth...Commercial and Corporate Income. Not a bad thing in the grand scheme...I don't begrudge anyone the right to make a living at his trade or talent. However, there are potentially millions of people who will now see that "the open source philosophy" is no longer fully embraced by Mepis et al. Pity...while I try not to get bogged down in the politics and philosophies of Linux, there are times when you simply just have to take a stand. I think you screwed up Warren. While Jason and I may have had our rather loud and heated disagreements in the past, I have nothing but respect for his work and sacrifice in bringing us what he did.

I personally hope Warren the best in his efforts...he has expanded the Linux Universe with Mepis and is to be applauded...but the applause is dying and I am afraid with this most recent move I detect some shallow breathing coming from Mepis.

Helios
sbergman27

May 12, 2005
9:07 AM EDT
Hi Helios,

This is sort of what was nagging me when I posted in:

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/14546/

For the record, I did not really expect my fears to come true. And it's still too early to say anything difinitive.

I should explain that I did not respond to your request to elaborate because I did not really have a good argument. Just a nagging feeling.
helios

May 12, 2005
6:35 PM EDT
At the time of my post, I never in my wildest dreams expected Warren to completely blow off a trusted and talented DevTeam...I'm still a bit conflicted about it...but then again, I am not heavily involved in Mepis so I probably miss or skirt some of the important factors. Like I said, the political drama gets to be a bit much. Being involved as the founder of a new website and an effort to bring developers and users together, I have been focused on that and have probably let some important events slip by. This thing with Jason's site was a strong jolt.

As an aside, we have been instrumental in the migration of Linux and OpenOffice for two seperate schools. We have seen PCLinuxOS adopted as their preferred OS and I must say I am pleased. A point of contention was raised when we were trying to decide which alternate distro we would offer if PCLOS was not suitable for some reason. Mepis was "vigorously" discussed and dropped in favor of Kubuntu. Seems a combination of fate and intuition intervened in that decision. I am not suggesting the line form for a Mepis Death March...but immediate treatment for a severe injury is certainly in order.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!