I had this feeling about Mepis

Story: MEPIS Linux Loses Another Support SiteTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Abe

May 12, 2005
8:50 AM EDT
The first time I heard about Mepis and tried it out, I loved it. For some reason, I also had the feeling that Mepis is a commercial, not for sharing distro. Well the latest news confirmed that. I too have no problem with making a living out of talent, but not sharing and only taking is not right (in my opinion). To tell the truth, Kubuntu is far better on the long run. It is as good as Mepis, if not better technically, but far more in-line with FOSS. The only thing I see Mepis better than Kubuntu is the install from LiveCD. Mepis is easy and very quick. I am sure Kubuntu will be there if not further ahead give it time. For some reason, couple weeks ago, I wiped out Mepis of my test machine and replaced it with Kubuntu. I must have known something without realizing it. Any ways, my good machine has Suse. Like I said, I have nothing against commercial products as long as it is in-line with FOSS.
mdl

May 12, 2005
10:03 AM EDT
I tried Kubuntu recently but I think it still has a ways to go (no GIMP, firefox or thunderbird). You might try Kanotix for a great Debinan based system that is much more polished than Kubuntu, IMO. You can install from the live CD.
Abe

May 12, 2005
12:48 PM EDT
I have tried PCLinux, Kanotix (Pretty good but didn't spend much time with it). I like Kubuntu for the spirit. True, it needs a lot more polish, but don't forget, it has been out only for few months. I used Synaptic on Kubuntu, it worked great. I did updates periodically and it is fantastic (forget Windows). I do recall I had to download FF, FB and it was not a big deal to install. I make use of InkScape more than GIMP. I am sure they will have those very soon. Isn't FOSS great, you don't like one, you find another.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!