Linux is not a company

Story: Debate pits open source Linux against MicrosoftTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
kefentse

May 21, 2005
12:57 PM EDT
And as long as this fact remains true, Linux an open OS will have an advantage over a closed system. This OS has progressed at a faster rate than any other OS, and will continue to do so because of the great minds around the world who all have different needs for an OS and software and are free to improve it to fit those needs. So if Linux users realize Linux is much larger than an OS, it gives true freedom then it will not have to compete in price comparisons, and head to head comparisons against MS, but will simply naturally displace MS as the standard.
helios

May 21, 2005
3:13 PM EDT
This OS has progressed at a faster rate than any other OS, and will continue to do so because of the great minds around the world...

I got my butt absolutely kicked when bringing this point up in an article on a "windoze friendly" site a while back...I won't rehash the details. It's stuff you guys have heard me and paul and tesla et al say for awhile. When I was challenged to give an example, I was able to do it with 7 keys or spaces.

Live CD

funny...Mr. windoze-is-the-best-thing-since-twist-off-beer-caps didn't bother to respond

helios
dinotrac

May 21, 2005
6:36 PM EDT
In fairness, it is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

A company can do things for a product that volunteer efforts -- even those with substantial corporate support -- can't always manage.

Sometimes it's a matter of ponying up coin and direction to get something made that doesn't really inspire passion.

Sometimes -- and man-oh-man I've been pulling hair out over this lately -- It's to encourage consistency in apis, and to develop sufficient and sufficiently clear documentation to permit use by developers whose schedules don't permit constantly delving into the source code of some library.

I love open source software, I don't love open source documentation.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!