Not the Full Story!

Story: Cnet declares Firefox best browser available.Total Replies: 2
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

May 22, 2005
6:31 AM EDT
If C-Net ran the story, that's what I want to read, not be sent for a perhaps unenlightened comment.

The rating 8 out of 10 does not appear to be that much superior to a 7 out of 10 - what do those numbers indicate? No information provided other than a link to the mozilla.org site. Hey just one more point or two and IE will lead the pack and be the BEST browser in existence!!!!!

This is not even half the story, now I am out to find it for myself.

I do NOT mind individually written essays where some effort has been expended and either a view is cogently presented and/or objective set of test results are presented. Indeed those can be be incisive than the professional technical press' efforts, but a link to a comment much less complete than I have seen time and again discussing a posted story is really not acceptable.
sbergman27

May 22, 2005
7:10 AM EDT
Click on "gave" (in "gave Firefox"). It's a link to the C-Net article.
TxtEdMacs

May 22, 2005
7:32 AM EDT
Here is the link to the "full story": http://netscape.com.com/4520-3118_7-6226062-1.html , much less impressive than the title as posted on LXer. Also this is the pick of one editor - NOT CNet's pick! The numerical differences are also unimpressive, Netscape 8.0 gets a 7.7 and the stage with which it was released does not give me too much confidence in this particular editor's technical sagacity.

This is better forgotten story. Moreover, it may have appeared only to be demolished later when IE 7 beta appears. Moreover, it would be wiser to be more critical of such stories even when they match our bias, the source may be insincere. Furthermore, if the conclusions are not matched by the presented facts or the scoring seems either grossly off or lacks a coherent criteria, it would be better to one of us as partisans to call this "article" into question. If we just blindly accept the good news, then do not be surprised when the straw fortress is destroyed by the MS crowd.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!