Bingo Baby!

Story: Linux vs Microsoft XP: Optimizations Make Linux the Killer DesktopTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
helios

May 23, 2005
11:45 AM EDT
Consumers face the problem that the Microsoft monopoly dominates the retail market space. You can't walk into a store today and find a laptop loaded with Linux on the shelves of your computer store. When you shop on-line every manufacturer states that they recommend Microsoft Windows.

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news it that there IS hardware that is being pre-loaded with Linux. The Bad news is that there IS hardware that is being pre-loaded with Linux...Linspire.

Now I have used Linspire and I damn near caused friction burns on my hard drive taking it off so fast. For all the hype and justification for presenting Linspire the way it is...it just isn't the way it should be done. Now I AM beginning to sound like a Linux Elitest. Sorry Folks...thats the way it is, at least as far as I can see. Now, back to the question I have been posing for months. How DO we advertise Linux. I am personally taking out 15 second ads beginning in July for PCLinuxOS and investing a couple thousand dollars to do so...and who am I? Just a guy who wants to see Linux grow. Will it do any good? Jury will remain out for awhile on that but some exposure is better than none, and that is exactly what Linux is getting in the Media Market...None.

Yes, the internet is full of Linux promotion, but largely this is a case of preaching to the choir. Until we "get legitimized", by the media airwaves, I don't think we're gonna make any headway. And then, which distro or effort gets promoted or advertised? Smarter people than me are gonna have to figure this out...ahem, that would be you guys.

helios From: helios
tadelste

May 23, 2005
1:52 PM EDT
Many Linux people have reservations about Linspire. But then first time Linux users find Linspire a fun product. I admire the company's tenacity. I'd rather have Linspire - a debian based Linux distro - offered on hardware in retail stores than nothing.

helios

May 24, 2005
7:52 PM EDT
Yes, I will agree with that. My worry, and it will more than likely turn out to be unjustified, is that those who do buy the Linspire hardware will think that Linspire is Linux. Now is that really important in the scheme of things...? Probably not but then again, I don't know how well it is going to sell. I do hope it does well simply because it is Linux's first foray into the commercial market as OEM. I also hope that once people start seeing Linux, they will also see the abundance of choices they have. And not as root.

helios
dinotrac

May 25, 2005
7:56 AM EDT
If first time buyers that that Linspire is Linux, that's not the worst thing in the world. After all, Linspire IS Linux, though Linux isn't Linspire.

It's only a problem if Linspire is crap that makes them regret the experience. From what I can see, however, is that Linspire buyers tend to be the people to whom Linspire is targetted. A good thing all around.

Once they get comfortable, they might want to test the waters with other distros, or they might not. So long as they ain't runnin' Redmondware, it's a W.
helios

May 25, 2005
8:56 AM EDT
Once they get comfortable, they might want to test the waters with other distros, or they might not. So long as they ain't runnin' Redmondware, it's a W.

Bingo Baby!

Uh..."baby" is a generic term...not at all gender related and surely not meant as...well, you know...

Note to self: go to dictionary.com and research the term "homophobe"

h
dinotrac

May 25, 2005
10:21 AM EDT
>Uh..."baby" is a generic term...not at all gender related and surely not meant as...well, you know...

Not to worry. I didn't take it that way at all. After all, lots of people tell me I look young for my age.

No, wait!! That's not it, exactly. "Act like a childish jerk..", yeah, that's it.

Still, you gotta take what what you can get...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!