Nokia still learning

Story: Stallman: Nokia's announcement next to nothingTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

May 30, 2005
6:18 AM EDT
Pretty grand first step, would like to see them encouraged to take more rather than slapped down.
TxtEdMacs

May 30, 2005
6:39 AM EDT
Prior to scanning the article, I tended to take your view. However, you might be missing one salient argument that Stallman is making: each of these companies is actively lobbying for extended software protection in Europe. Hence, their gifts may only be cover not their true intent.
pyellman

May 30, 2005
8:58 AM EDT
Your comment does not take into account what one learns from actually reading Stallman's essay: that Nokia's "patent pledge" re: Linux does nothing beyond what is already guaranteed by the GPL. If you accept Stallman's interpretation of the legal issues at hand, It is therefore not a "grand step" but rather, grandstanding.

Stallman goes on to suggest that these theatrics have a specific purpose: to provide evidence and "cover" in the debate over software patents in Europe that large companies pose no threat to "open source" as their intentions towards open source/free software are benign. Stallman concludes by pointing out that this is absurd, as Nokia is a leading proponent of changes to the law that would effectively outlaw free software.

Peter Yellman
AnonymousCoward

May 30, 2005
3:34 PM EDT
pyellman: that's not the whole story, and not the bit that needs encouraging. Nokia has demonstrated that they're aware of their requirements and willing to fulfill them instead of finessing or riding over the top of them. If Stallman has wanted more in the first place, he should have said so up front. He's had some major wins and (without compromising) needs to show a bit more gratitude for those. If he proves difficult to please, the Nokias of the world will simply stop trying, then we're all worse off.

TxtEdMacs: I didn't miss that. They're saying, in effect, "we wish this requirement didn't exist, but since it does we will comply with it - and make hay while the sun shines".

Another important factor is that Nokia is big enough for one department or section to be lobbying to tie patents and copyright up and lay it across the railroad tracks while another is independently being (for a megacorp) astonishingly Free with them. What we want is for the latter department to flourish and dominate. In order for that to happen, we need to encourage it.

IOW, the problem I have is that RMS is saying (or at least leaving the impression of having said, which is actually more important in this case) "This is nothing but grandstanding"; what he should be saying is "We're very pleased that Nokia have done this. Sweeping aside the inevitable grandstanding, we look forward to a time when the corporation as a whole understands how beneficial Free software is and demonstrates a complete commitment to this by completely withdrawing its support for software patent legislation".
pyellman

May 30, 2005
6:19 PM EDT
AnonymousCoward:

Points. Not necessarily good ones, or that I agree, but at least now you have fulfilled one of my rhetorical requirements, which is that rebuttals be something more than simply "you're wrong" (or "he's wrong").

>Nokia has demonstrated that they're aware of their requirements and willing to fulfill them instead of finessing or riding over the top of them

This is purely personal perspective, and precisely the one that I'm sure Nokia wanted to convey. Nevertheless, if the factual parts of Stallman's opinion are correct -- that Nokia's "pledge" adds nothing beyond what is required by the GPL, the pledge is in a very real sense entirely irrelevant. Stallman adds to this factual "interpretation" the personal persepective that Nokia's actions are a publicity stunt. Perhaps you and Stallman really aren't so far apart on this part of your "perspectives", but unlike you, Stallman isn't clapping.

>Another important factor is that Nokia is big enough for one department or section to be lobbying to tie patents and copyright up and lay it across the railroad tracks while another is independently being (for a megacorp) astonishingly Free with them. What we want is for the latter department to flourish and dominate. In order for that to happen, we need to encourage it.

Another way to look at it is that Nokia is big enough to have both a legal department and a PR department, and that there has been some communication between the two departments to produce this announcement.

Peter Yellman

TxtEdMacs

May 31, 2005
3:26 PM EDT
Here is another instance of Nokia "contributing": http://2005.guadec.org/press/releases/nokia_donation.html

Gnome Foundation is getting the cash from the sale of the first 500 tablets to support a developer. Found this on lwn.net, I believe there is open access to this story and the diverse views expressed in the comments attached (one is a mirror image of one posted here). Check http://lwn.net/ and the story "Nokia Makes Donation to GNOME Foundation". [I am a subscriber, hence, I cannot be certain about limitations to access by non subscribers.]
pyellman

May 31, 2005
5:56 PM EDT
I don't want to appear to be flaying Nokia here. Nokia has recently done something that IS very important and beneficial to Linux and free software in general: they have developed and will market what looks like a fairly kick-ass device based on Linux (and GNOME, it looks like). This is far a more significant development than any of the associated PR stunts, and it got my attention immediately and in a big way.

However, Nokia could have a far meaningful and beneficial declaration re: patents and the Linux kernel, and it would have gone something like this: "Nokia appreciates and commits itself to abiding by the requirements of the GPL -- including any provisions regarding the the release of patent claims -- under which Linux, the base operating for the recently released 770 device, is licensed. Nokia recognizes the GPL as a legitimate and enforceable license, and one which commercial enterprises can benefit by if they play by the rules."

This kind of announcement would have, to me, really meant something. Instead, Nokia chose to portray itself as being particularly virtuous when in fact it was doing little more than abiding by the requirements of the GPL. In short, Nokia chose to take credit that belonged to the GPL, and to claim it for themselves.

Peter Yellman

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!