This piece is an absolute disgrace

Story: The Most Powerful Labor Union in the World: Linux?Total Replies: 11
Author Content
r_a_trip

May 30, 2005
1:59 PM EDT
Enderle is trying to squeeze some lifeblood out of the dead "Maureen O'Gara vs. PJ" debacle. We all know that Ms. O'Gara lost every shred of professionalism, trustworthiness and appearance of ethics in her attempt to smear PJ of Groklaw.

Enderle starts out at eking the interest of CxO's by equating the FOSS community to a labor union. He makes a few parallels between the two and then says that the FOSS community is a defacto union because it attracts low payed, disgruntled software developers.

After that he slides to the lowest level, blathering the usual fud about DOSS atacks, threats against public figures (SCO and O'Gara...), other criminal behaviour. So the FOSS community is more like organized crime. It is dangerous because it is unguided and amateurish and does damage regardless, blah blah blah.

I take joy in the fact that I am much younger than Mr. Enderle, so I will live to see the day that he is moved to /dev/null. If there ever was a for hire, sold his soul to the devil, useless disgrace of a "journalist", than it is Mr. Enderle.

This piece really creates cold anger. The libel is rife in it, but as it is presented as an opinion piece, it is protected as Free Speech. Some roaches really know how to skirt everything that is civilized and decent and still get away with it, publicly and legally.
spuzzzzzzz

May 30, 2005
2:15 PM EDT
Heh. My favourite bit was this:
Quoting:In what has been a massive and loosely coordinated effort, a multi-million dollar company [SCO] backed by a strong legal team has been all but put out of business, and this couldn't have happened without some form of organization.

Never mind that they're business has been stagnating for years; never mind that they initiated a $5 billion dollar lawsuit against IBM. It is clearly linux's fault that they are going under. We're obviously all a bunch of business-hating vigilantes.
mcleodnine

May 30, 2005
3:09 PM EDT
Trolling for clicks.

Inaccurate, inflammatory, and devoid of a logical argument. I want my click back.
AnonymousCoward

May 30, 2005
3:24 PM EDT
r_a_trip: it was Enderle, what were you expecting? Foresight? Balance? Intelligence? Has he ever written an article structured around those?

He has a serious chip on his shoulder and was a bit of a dropkick to start with, but even more importantly is a mercenary. Pay him enough and he'll say whatever you ask him to. I strongly suspect that even a large mallet or major humiliation before his peers would be insufficient to produce a "road to Damascus" awakening in him. I also wonder who really is paying him what for what.
PaulFerris

May 30, 2005
6:33 PM EDT
This article is more of the "Linux and Open Source/Free Software people are terrorists" genre. We can expect more and more of this.

It's sad, full of half-truths. The whole "DOS against Sys-Con" is what Dave and I would call "the slashdot effect", for example -- he quotes it as if it were biblical scripture.

Probably a crony of O'Gara's -- my guess. Feh, don't give him the clicks.

Or the time of day. He's set my opinion of him permanently.
Fritz

May 30, 2005
11:34 PM EDT
*sigh*
hkwint

May 31, 2005
2:36 AM EDT
If we're terrorosits, why didn't the FBI close this site?

I always was afraid of finding myself helping a criminal organization without knowing it, by accident, but I'm afraid that's just what happened. You bad guys!

About the lack of leadership: Any leadership is better when it doesn't bounce over the stage imitating a drill.
mdl

May 31, 2005
2:56 AM EDT
On a positive note, this article clearly shows desperation on the part of those holding Enderle's leash.
mdl

May 31, 2005
3:07 AM EDT
Another thing, do you suppose M$ now regrets their role in "awakening a sleeping giant" by funding SCO? They brought together and united as diverse a population as you could find... to confront a threat that became much more "clear and present" with these legal attacks. Thank you M$ and SCO, without your efforts there would be no Groklaw and much of the community would still be asleep.
number6x

May 31, 2005
3:55 AM EDT
If Enderle is looking for criminals in the software industry he needn't look any farther than a certain 'Industry Leader' that has been convicted of illegal activity multiple times.

Oh wait, they're probably the ones paying him to write these lies.
Koriel

May 31, 2005
5:04 AM EDT
I know this isn't Slashdot but will state upfront that i haven't RTFA and im not going to, here in Scotland we have a quaint phrase and maybe elsewhere as well, it goes something like this, "I wouldn't p*ss on this guy if he was on fire". Politically correct i am not!

Edited for speeling and bad grandma.
PaulFerris

May 31, 2005
6:04 AM EDT
number6x: yes -- and don't forget their ability to control the media -- you know the stuff he's accusing US of.

Again, I will repeat -- one of their tactics shines out really nice ; accuse your enemy (falsely) of the *exact* same tactics you yourself are really using, but no one of course can directly prove.

Microsoft's PR firm (WagEd) is infamous for doing all kinds of shady stuff -- stuff that might not be illegal, but that no one would admire.

Of course, the schmuck that wrote this article doesn't work for Wag-Ed -- no, that'd be such a stretch of the imagination. --FeriCyde

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!