As nice as this sounds - is it for a moment credible?

Story: Firefox about to get IE on its kneesTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

May 31, 2005
6:52 AM EDT
What is completely missing is context. For example, "W3schools, a site known amongst web developers ...", wow!! They with their experience have only reached 25%? The assertions in these articles are more akin to a narcotic dream. Wishes alone even combined with superior technical execution do not assure dominance.

Articles like this may do more harm by their implicit assumption that winning means total domination. Firefox need not ever even be used by anything close to 50% to have beaten MS. It is only the latter that requires homogeneous fealty to its products. In contrast, Firefox and Linux separately need only to gain a statistically significant market share to change perceptions of MS's invincibility to have won.
devnet

May 31, 2005
8:39 AM EDT
I think it is more of a...

this is 25% of the people who connect to our site and what they use.

That being the case, I'm happy to report that 84% of the market share now belongs to firefox because that's the percentage connecting to my website http://linux-blog.org

Wow! We're really jumping around aren't we? I think this is misleading and probably unresearched/not supportable.
PaulFerris

May 31, 2005
8:49 AM EDT
devnet: to really round out the way the data is presented, you need a * reference on the data like this:

Devnet reports 84%* FireFox marketshare!

Bla bla bla bla .... And that's the truth as far as we can tell!

* Note: data collected using totally biased and unscientifc methods. Keep hands and feet away.
devnet

May 31, 2005
10:05 AM EDT
*scratches chin*

So THAT'S how Maureen O' Garish reports her data!
hkwint

May 31, 2005
1:18 PM EDT
Hey, you guys noticed Ffox hit the 60M (unique downloads)?

That's 10M in one month*! And that's only Windows. counter: http://www.infocraft.com/projects/ffcounter/

At the current rate that means 100M will be reached this year, end of september. But, hell, it's better to assume polynomial growth**, so it could also be 18 billion users, according to O'Gara.

(*According to my one brain-cell) **Earlier I estimated the growth was 7,5M a month, but the growth has grown!
dinotrac

May 31, 2005
4:49 PM EDT
And this just in:

Firefox owns 100% of the market for browsers whose name rhymes with choir socks.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!