Selective memories, selected numbers...

Story: Windows wipes floor with LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dinotrac

Jun 01, 2005
9:31 AM EDT
Regardless of the numbers, Linux has hit Microsoft hard. Anybody who was working in the industry six or seven years ago will remember that Microsoft was aiming for domination of the glass house -- selling a world where desktops and servers all ran versions of the same platform, variations of the same skill set were used to administer all of them, and people would be cheap.

Oh -- though Microsoft didn't sell this part to clients, but, with competition on the run, corresponding price increases for the --ummm-- increasingly sophisticated and wonderful software MS would deliver.

Instead, MS servers are just pulling even with Unix, Linux is growing by leaps and bounds, and MS has been forced to scramble for contracts.

Doesn't sound like a floor wiping to me...

As to Linux losing ground to Microsoft in the foreseeable future, that depends on how far you look.

Consider the following effect, with numbers chosen for demonstration purposes only, not because they reflect the real world:

Imagine Microsoft has 10 million servers, and is growing at 10%, while Linux has 1 million servers, and is growing at 30%.

Microsoft lead = 9 million servers

In one year then, Microsoft would gain 1 million new servers while Linux would gain only 300,000 (700k net).

Microsoft lead = 9.7 million servers

The next year, the numbers are 1.1 million, and 390,000 (710k net)

Microsoft lead = 10.41 million servers

The next year, however, the rate of increase starts to slow, even thought the absolute Microsoft advantage continues to increase for another couple of years before Linux starts to close the absolute gap.

SOOOOOO.... Ya chooses the numbers ya likes when the numbers ya normally uses don't do ya any good.

tuxchick

Jun 01, 2005
6:10 PM EDT
Dino, the headline and focus of the article is so NewSpeak it's hard to know where to begin. Windows growth in revenues and unit shipments is "12.3 per cent and 10.7 per cent." Linux growth is "35.2 per cent and unit shipments up 31.1 per cent." And the zillions upon zillions of free downloads and converted windoze boxen are ignored completely. How does that translate into a win for Winduhs? Truly these writers sound 0wnz0red.
mariuz

Jun 01, 2005
10:45 PM EDT
netcraft show that their servers (iis) doesn't do well Apache is going up (linux+windows)

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/06/01/june_2005_web_s...
dinotrac

Jun 02, 2005
2:36 AM EDT
Tuxchick,

You done hit on a fine, fine point. The article speaks to revenue and unit shipments, not infrastructure penetration (imigosh!!! is that pr0n?). Clearly the work of peepeeheads.
PaulFerris

Jun 02, 2005
3:45 AM EDT
I re-read it a couple of times -- it's based on revenue scale, not actual usage scale, from what I can tell.

Okay, so let's look at the revenue of say, a mercedes benz compared to a car company selling $10,000 cars -- maybe mercedes is having a banner year and their sales are increasing at a lesser percentage over the cheap car companys unit volume minscule profit.

And lets not forget that the revenue model for Linux companies tends to be service focused, not unit focused, like from what I see, Microsoft still is.

That's how I read it -- also note the author of the story talks about the "www" niche that Linux occupies.

First of all, I hardly call the Internet, a "niche".

Second, it ignores all of the embedded and mainframe Linux out there.

Third, it clearly is turning a blind eye to the implementations of Linux at places like Burlington Coat factory and Sherwin Williams, Chrysler and a host of other places (Ford uses it too, I know for a fact).

So Microsoft is still making a ton of money on servers sales -- big fat hairy deal if they're still (obviously) losing the huge growth ground to Linux.

That's my $.02 on this piece of tripe. Carefully crafted PR spoken as if it were a "reporter" on a story.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!