Ask Slashdot would not publish my questioning this project

Story: LinuxFund account grows but developers get no fundsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jun 03, 2005
7:11 AM EDT
On the basis of the back of an envelope type calculation I questioned the amount supposedly to be given to free software developers. I calculated the amount to be no more than $20/year per card. Considering that I was then averaging about $1K per month I saw this as too small a gift and was seeking assurance that my changing credit cards provided some bang for the buck.

I made a few other attempts to get some solid information on this project, however, other than getting several fancy solicitations to change to this credit card fund I was able to get nearly no real data. Hence, I just began to shred the mail and have essentially long since put this to the back of my mind.

It is sad when a project with seemingly good intentions can get such good initial press without providing solid data. Note I was just questioning the amounts to be contributed, whereas the result seems to have had a much worse outcome than my criticism envisioned. That is, I expected too little given NOT nothing at all!
tuxchick

Jun 03, 2005
12:22 PM EDT
Running a non-profit is a horrid undertaking- the paperwork is insane, and now the Dept. of Justice is harassing non-profits by making even insaner demands for documents. However, it sounds like the LinuxFund can afford to hire some expertise, and should, instead of pissing away salaries on people who do nothing.
cjcox

Jun 03, 2005
1:23 PM EDT
I was one of the grant recipients ($1000) many years ago for ImPress.

I still use the cards (I have both the Gold and Blue version). It's nice having a Tux card.

I think it's a good idea.. as Mr. Cox said, just needs somebody to run the thing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!