Very Crucial Stage

Story: Community Debates Microsoft's Open-Source AgendaTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Abe

Jun 04, 2005
2:22 PM EDT
MS recent move resulted in one big good thing for FOSS; it showed their base that FOSS products are comparable if not better than MS's and it is here to stay.

MS tried all means to counter FOSS but couldn't. They couldn't contain it, couldn't beat it, couldn't stop it, and couldn't kill it. The only last thing left for them to try is to alienate/divide its groups to conquer it. We don't trust MS and we all know why. Its history and track record are full of reasons why we should not trust it. The community has to be very careful. Never agree or commit to anything. FOSS works well with their technology when they don't sabotage it but their's does not by design. No one is stopping them from inter-operating with FOSS, they chose not to. If they want to work with FOSS, just go ahead and play, no one is preventing them, but they have to abide by the rules. I don't see a reason to talk. There is nothing to talk about. FOSS is all in the open and has nothing else hidden to offer. All of these so called analyst are applauding this move are nothing but MS paid lackeys and cheer leaders. I say FOSS should talk but offer nothing. let us see what MS is offering.

mdl

Jun 04, 2005
4:27 PM EDT
Abe, I agree 100%. No need for us to talk to M$. If they want to get along, all they have to do is start cooperating and ease off on the FUD. Until then, screw M$.
Libervis

Jun 04, 2005
6:15 PM EDT
Talking is good, as long as it doesn't yield any potentially dangerous decisions on the part of the Free Software community and Free Software companies (such as RedHat). And by "potentially dangerous decisions" i mean falling into some kind of a trap deal with Microsoft. That is the last thing anyone should agree to, doing a special deal with MS that could mean making compromises to the rules of FOSS.

What i would suggest is to use this chance for conversation as an advantage for us, to see what and where Microsoft is going, gain some valuable information and then, as a community, interpret and see what is the next best step. That holds for any such Microsoft conversations and diplomacy. We have to think of them as opportunities for our own gains, which are the gains of freedom in the first place.

Thank you Danijel Orsolic
salparadise

Jun 04, 2005
9:22 PM EDT
And you don't think that bearing in mind Microsoft's prior record that they are pretending to be nice while secretly sharpening the knives?

Why are you/we impressed because Microsoft are talking to people in the OS community? Microsoft are a terrible company with a terrible record! Sort of a bit like the opposite of the midas touch. Thet find gold, pick it up and it turns to lead.

r_a_trip

Jun 05, 2005
6:11 AM EDT
Watch your backs people. MS is on the warpath, speaking with forked tongue. The beast will try to lull the FOSS communities into a sense of co-existance.

When we all have become complacent and perhaps happy with the tidbits of FOSS code MS has thrown out under the CPL (as I suspect they will do), they will come out with blazing guns and they will take no prisoners. They never took prisoners before...

Freedom begins by banning Microsoft. MS is an ugly dark blot on the face of IT. It is time they got removed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!