Hello Mcfly? Eclipse

Story: Ok, who got the Billion Dollars?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
number6x

Jun 06, 2005
6:02 AM EDT
This guy seems to conveniently forget a lot of things IBM has donated.

The "billion Dollars" included donated software.

Eclipse is probably worth more than $1B at this point.

Plus there was a ton of work for Linux on 390's and on power chips.

IBM is a big mega corporation, and they donate to causes that return benefits to the big mega corporation. Eclipse, Apache, jBoss, all help IBM's WSAD environment.

Linux on z-series, i-series, and p-series also helps IBM sales of those servers.

IBM is not donating out of the kindness of their hearts, they are making a strategic business decision.

These donations also make Free and Open Source alternatives cheap. This hurts competing products like BEA. Why do you think IBM sells only really expensive stuff like WSAD? They expect free and open source to beat all the low end and middle tier offerings, only the stuff with lots of added service and functionality will survive against free, so IBM is staking out that territory now.

IBM saw DEC(under compaq), sgi, hp all race for the low end thinking they would cut costs on hardware. All the customers thought was "Gee, I can pay a ton of money to run your Unix on intel chips, or I could pay a lot less to run Linux or Windows or BSD on intel chips.", we know what the customers chose and why the Unix market is shrinking.

IBM knows that you have to offer more to the customer if you want to charge more.

IBM has been doing that for decades, every CIO knows IBM offers good service.
PaulFerris

Jun 06, 2005
6:26 AM EDT
Adverising too? I mean, IBM spending a billion on stuff might just include getting the word out -- no small task.

Paul Murphy comes across as a moron in this article.

--FeriCyde
phsolide

Jun 06, 2005
8:38 AM EDT
FeriCyde writes: Paul Murphy comes across as a moron in this article.

I seem to recall that "Paul Murphy" isn't the reporter's real name/only name/something like that, as in "it's an alias". What's the truth here? "Paul Murphy" seems to write fairly erratically, some good stuff, some mediocre, some just plain bad. Does a committee comprise "Paul Murphy", or is "Paul Murphy" another "George Tirebiter"?
tuxchick

Jun 06, 2005
11:09 AM EDT
phsolide, a committee of Tirebiters behind the "paul Murphy" alias would explain the erratic content and tone. I would say it's an Eliza-type bot, except Eliza is a much better writer.
PaulFerris

Jun 06, 2005
11:53 AM EDT
TireBiter Eh? Hmmm I seem to recall that alias from somewhere, but I can't quite place it in my mind. Something to do with baseball stadiums... astoturf?

Gotta get more oriented with my history of Linux today, the mind's just not what it used to be.

--FeriCyde
tuxchick

Jun 06, 2005
2:35 PM EDT
It's nothing to strain your brain over, little Paulie, just an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. Best to dwell on pleasant, useful things.
PaulFerris

Jun 06, 2005
5:13 PM EDT
"little Paulie"

I see that in your quest to comfort me, you slide in a subtle reference to my stature. What have you been doing, taking bribes to insult me from DinoTrac?

You hit-women for hire hackers are all alike.

You crouch in your bunkers, nothing but the glow of the night-vision goggles and the smell of carbide to guide your way. You act all smarmy in the daylight -- "oh dear paulie, don't fret", but in the mean time, you're picking out the best hiding spot from which to strike. Here's a hint: The grassy knoll is a bad location.

Besides, I'm on to you and your kind now. One day soon the bureau of Asprin, Tobasco and FireWorks will come knocking at your door, wondering where you keep the hit-list. Guess what, I'll be walking tall the day that happens.

Plus, for the real bad guys, I have an astro-turf-proof vest (it's called LXer) :-)

--FeriCyde

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!