Story: Something's Amiss in the Linux CommunityTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
dinotrac

Jun 10, 2005
4:58 AM EDT
OK.

I buy in.

So what?

Everything you say has been true since the adolescence of linux - that period when it had grown up enough to be useful and was known enough to be widespread. Heck, I played a tiny role in rooting out and removing an astroturfing editor at LinuxToday four years ago.

I don't think there's any difference in the Linux community today (except, perhaps, it's size), but there are differences around and about it.

First, Linux is now recognized as a viable option for business computing. That makes it a serious threat/competitor. It also means that advertising has to change from the "bunch of flaky kids trying to emulate the big boys" approach to more serious attacks aimed at people who aren't prepared to write Linux off so simply.

Second, there used to be a nearly 1 to 1 correspondence of linux users and the linux community. Now, it is much more reasonable to be a linux user in the same sense that you are a Microsoft or Sun user. Nothing "out there" about it. No cause for alarm -- it's the inevitable result of success.

Nothing amiss.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!