Interview

Story: An Interview with Linus TorvaldsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
SamShazaam

Jun 10, 2005
7:36 PM EDT
You really have to admire some one who gives interviews to a high school newspaper.
chappaquachap

Jun 10, 2005
7:55 PM EDT
You have to admire that person even more when they have the strong sense of modesty plainly evident when you read the interview. This story was posted on the same day a statement was issued about GPL3 that says in part,

* The GPL is the Literary Work of Richard M. Stallman

Some copyright licenses are no doubt known, in the restricted circle of one firm or law office, as the achievement of a single author's acumen or insight. But it is safe to say that there is no other copyright license in the world that is so strongly identified with the achievements, and the philosophy, of a single public figure.

The contrast is striking...
PaulFerris

Jun 11, 2005
7:59 AM EDT
That is a really interesting interview and it bolts right up with the few times I've ever run into Torvalds -- he's always been really really polite, and very humble.

My favorite moment -- losing the Golden Penguin bowl (I still think Nick Petreley stacked the game against my team). This was a Jeopardy-like game and the year was 2001, if I remember rightly, and Nick would always ask people from the audience to join the teams which were about 6 people per side.

Petreley picks Torvalds out of the audience "You look like you might know something about Linux" he says. It was a riot.

One of the early questions was "what are bogo-mips", a question that Petreley had obviously put into the mix figuring that Torvalds would jump in.

And he did "It's an estimation of computer speed" he says (paraphrasing a bit here, it's been a while). Well, Petreley posts the answer on the screen "The number of CPU instructions the kernel executes while idle". The judges gave Torvalds a thumbs down and the audience went wild.

Throughout the entire event Linus was just another geek, and it's hard to put your finger on it -- the guy was just plain likable in every way. Nothing makes a geek stand out worse (and be more dis-likable) than a huge ego, in other words. Trust me, I've seen both. The cooler ones are the ones that are more like Linus.

It's no wonder to me why he's where he is today.

You can have your idol Bill Gates -- the monopoly money and all. This guy is a real Uber Geek.
richo123

Jun 11, 2005
8:58 AM EDT
I guess part of the reason for the difference is that one guy comes from Boston by way of NYC while the other comes from Oregon by way of CA and mainly Finland. Culture explains a lot... (I'm from NYC by way of Australia ;-))

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!