What HTML tags does Lxer accept?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
peragrin

Jun 11, 2005
6:55 AM EDT
I have been trying to figure this out for a while and since it isn't published anywhere I thought I would ask.

I know why you choose to limit tags, but I have tried several different ways of quoting a previous poster, but none seem to work well.

So which tags are allowed? Since it isn't on any other page this forum will work for future reference for others.
dave

Jun 11, 2005
9:12 AM EDT
To quote someone, use [quote ] [ / quote ] Practice with the preview.

Quoting:This is quoted text.

Also, bold, italic and underline are allowed.

bold, underlined, italic

dave
dinotrac

Jun 11, 2005
1:32 PM EDT
Next question: how do you
Quoting:escape the quote tags so that they are part of a quote?[quote]using [[/quote]?

Just seems so ugly, and, besides, it gets translated in the preview box, so you have to re-type it...
dinotrac

Jun 11, 2005
1:32 PM EDT
er, make that -- using &#91 -- forgot to clear out all of the translations!!
peragrin

Jun 11, 2005
3:35 PM EDT
But there is were I was having problems
Quoting: to Quote someone you must use [] brackets around [ quote]

But for Bold, Underline, and Italics

you need to use < b > brackets.

Hyperlinks automatically show up in a truncated form

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/11/181236&t...

Was the corrected ht+p://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/11/181236&tid=160&tid=14

Lxer doesn't allow other modifiers as it would add to much to the pretty layout.

You see in non-html/bbcode sites I use the HTML brackets as markers. When ever I did that here it would cut out the rest of my post.

Well since this thread is now in the archives others can search for and find out just what options are available to them. Which was the point of this exercise, that is until dinotrac stepped in and opened his big mouth. :-) just kidding. Maybe.:-)
dave

Jun 11, 2005
4:08 PM EDT
You use brackets for b, i, and u because those are actual HTML tags. You use square brackets for "quote" since quote isn't an HTML tag but an LXer tag. :)

dinosaur, your entity got translated because of the PHP code. When you submit the form, I run "htmlentities(stripslashes($body))" on the text and therefore you get the entities back... I don't know a better way.

Hope this helps! dave

peragrin

Jun 11, 2005
6:06 PM EDT
So why isn't Blockquote used? to unweidly ? ugly? just plain to long to type for a simple quote.

Or all of the above?

Of course it helps thanks Dave on multiple levels.

Great site Great support, did I mention great site? Oh then I guess I should say something about the posters. hmmm Nope nothing comes to mind :-)
tuxchick

Jun 11, 2005
7:37 PM EDT
Peragrin, you meant to say that "Tuxchick is a bright shining light and my sole reason for visiting LXer."

You're welcome.
dinotrac

Jun 11, 2005
8:47 PM EDT
tuxchick --

Some things are so obvious that you can only look foolish by stating them...
peragrin

Jun 12, 2005
2:42 AM EDT
I am so sorry tuxchick can i ever be forgiven?

Your witty comebacks, the way you cooly handle the flamer wannabe's, the way you can just change a whole subject when you stop in.

tuxchick

Jun 12, 2005
10:46 AM EDT
Awww, you sweet-talkers.... ;)

LXer is a great site, good job Dave.
PaulFerris

Jun 13, 2005
12:42 PM EDT
tuxchick: Don't forget your humility while you're listing those qualities!

(oh, and list mine too)
peragrin

Jun 13, 2005
5:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Paul, tuxchick: Don't forget your humility while you're listing those qualities!

(oh, and list mine too)

I am sure she would but it seems to be miss placed. Why don't you run to the store and get some.
PaulFerris

Jun 14, 2005
2:33 AM EDT
pair-o-grin:

You said:
Quoting: I am sure she would but it seems to be miss placed. Why don't you run to the store and get some.

But I think you meant:
Quoting: I am sure she would bit it seems to be misplaced. Why don't you run to the store and get some?

I tried, but after I explained how humble I already was, everyone was in agreement that there was no improving me. --FeriCyde
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2005
3:04 AM EDT
Quoting:I tried, but after I explained how humble I already was, everyone was in agreement that there was no improving me.

Paulie:

I think you misunderstood. It's more a matter of skepticism over whether good things really do come in small packages.
PaulFerris

Jun 14, 2005
5:23 AM EDT
Quoting: I think you misunderstood. It's more a matter of skepticism over whether good things really do come in small packages.

DinoTrac, DinoTrac, DinoTrac (if that is your real name), I see yours shortly cannot simply speak a slightly incendiary sentence without the usual stab at my slight stature. No matter how hard I try to reach for the heights of diplomacy, you must step onto the LXer board space and flip a plank into my chin? Why must you stoop to such measures when I'm doing my best to bow my head and be the humblest guy I can be?

Why? I ask. It's hard to forge onward and upward under these kinds of conditions.

--FeriCyde
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2005
7:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Why must you stoop

Why, Paulie, it's simple geometry...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!