Regaining old online contacts

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
SFN

Jun 14, 2005
5:35 AM EDT
Quoting: SFN Jun 03, 2005 3:58 PM Freakishly off-topic here but maybe a bit of threadjacking would do some good here.

"A long time ago, I used to support Linux via Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and had come to know quite a few really cool people -- but only from the command line of an IRC channnel. It was an awesome time, and words cannot begin to describe the friendships I made there -- people I would meet later and I know for a fact if I could relocate where they all hang out (if they still do) -- I could jump on the channel and still spend a few hours catching up."

I too used to be fairly active on IRC (and old-school BBSs) (and CU-SeeMe). My wife and I met on IRC in '96. We miss a lot of the friendships we had formed there and often wonder what has become of our old friends. We've often said that it would be great to get the old board/channel/ref back again with all the "old-timers".

How cool would it be to have access to a Classmates.com style (but free) board where one could get in contact with old BBS/IRC/Cu-SeeMe friends?

Quoting: PaulFerris Jun 04, 2005 8:22 AM SFN: that would be really cool.

I miss those people a lot -- I know Linpeople and the supporting network died a slow death due to lack of funds and some other troubles. Some of the people actually ended up at a Linux support start-up during the dot-com years.

I keep rolling this around in my head. I really like the idea of having this. It seems simple enough - ezboard-style setup with old channels and forums in place of topics - but we all know how "seems simple enough" tends to work out.

Last night I actually found myself considering putting up a CU Ref.

And so it plays out in my mind, over and over: "Sounds fun." "Pain in the butt." "SOUNDS FUN!" "PAIN IN THE BUTT!" All I need is a couple of women wrestling in a public fountain.

So let's consider this a kernel of an idea. How many people would want this? How many people would be willing to help make it happen? How many people actually know of a really good way to make it happen? And so forth.

PaulFerris

Jun 15, 2005
3:15 AM EDT
Yes, this is something that I keep coming back to as well -- but there's a problem, I've lost contact with most of the people. I'd say the main channel operators have to have a lot of email addresses in their backup files -- but what good would those be?

It might be one of those things to incorporate into a Linux user registry somewhere, I dunno.

But your idea (IRCmates.com) is not a bad one.

--Paul

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!