Stealing Talent

Story: Gentoo Linux founder joins MicrosoftTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Abe

Jun 14, 2005
6:07 AM EDT
You know, MS pretty much hired the whole Digital VMS group (about 200 engineers) including the lead VMS architect Dave Cutler to develop NT. I am sure they did the same with many other areas of IT. They were always successful of killing the original company. I wonder if they will be able to do it again with Linux. Nah, I doubt it, Linux is not a company to kill. Besides, I have more confidence in the main FOSS developers. We can't help it, we are bound to have some wishy washy ones. I don't know much about this guy, but I hope he has his own other than MS agenda! Most unfortunate.
phsolide

Jun 14, 2005
7:25 AM EDT
Rumor has it that MSFT also put a lot of law firms on retainer, reducing the ability of the US Dept of Justice to find anti-trust litigators and other attorneys in the MSFT anti-trust case.

Mark my words, the *huge* pile of cash that MSFT has accumulated causes problems, and will continue to cause problems for years into the future. That's more cash than most nations have on hand, and it's controlled by only a few people, relatively speaking.
tuxchick

Jun 14, 2005
10:57 AM EDT
Don't be judging Daniel until you walk a mile in his shoes. Did any of you offer him a job, or help out with Gentoo? As I said in the other thread, creating and supporting Gentoo just about bankrupted him. So unless you have something better to offer him, don't waste time casting aspersions on his character.

Something else to think about- there are quite a few Linux-friendly employees inside Microsoft. (I still have my spies.) The more the better.
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2005
11:12 AM EDT
<Sound of Applause> Way to go tuxchick!!! Everything in life has its place. Important as FOSS is, so is eating and feeding one's family. Even working for Microsoft is acceptable so long as you don't need to break the law or your own sense of ethics. </Sound of Applause>
Abe

Jun 14, 2005
2:29 PM EDT
Tuxchick/Dinotrac:

WOOoo, hold your horses. No body is criticizing or beating on the guy. Please, read my post carefully before you jump to conclusions.

My title of my post is "Stealing Talent". That is big compliment to the guy, not criticisim. My post ends with "Most unfortunate". He is not going, or not be allowed to work on FOSS any more. That is also a big compliment because of the big loss to FOSS not having such a talented person.

My main point was about how MS keep looking for ways to kill FOSS. I wasn't beating on the guy. We all have to make a living, we all have to do whatever it takes to live and provide for our families. I work with MS stuff every day. Do you think I like it? not at all. Every day, I can't wait to get off work and go home to work with Linux. Come on guys, people like you should know better!

Last thought, just to get out of my chest. Tuxchick: I think you are still allright, Dinotrac, I think you are a big fat cat.
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2005
4:09 PM EDT
Abe --

You got the fat part right, though I am working on it.

Wish I could be a fat cat so I could do more for my kids.
mvermeer

Jun 14, 2005
9:04 PM EDT
Important as FOSS is, so is eating and feeding one's family. How right you are. Few prostitutes are truly voluntary, and far be it from me to judge them. How easy it is to forget that not all people have the same options in life as most of us have...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!