Gabriel hired by Satan Inc to polish image

Story: Gentoo Linux founder joins MicrosoftTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Jun 14, 2005
7:27 AM EDT
Film at 11.

Anyone else want to guess at what effect this will have on Daniel?
tuxchick

Jun 14, 2005
10:54 AM EDT
Daniel went deeply into debt creating and supporting Gentoo. He just about worked himself to death trying to support his family and Gentoo. I imagine that having a steady job with a good paycheck will work wonders for him.
dinotrac

Jun 14, 2005
11:14 AM EDT
tuxchick -

Applause in this thread, too.

Making a good and legal living (especially if you have children who depend on you) is no cause for derision.
sbergman27

Jun 14, 2005
1:58 PM EDT
Well, I find myself wondering how his employment, and others like him in the future, will affect Microsoft.

Remember Vinod Vallopillil? He was the MS employee who researched OSS for MS and wrote the original "Halloween Document". For those who may not remember, it was basically a glowing review of our developer community. Shortly thereafter, he quit MS and moved to... a Linux startup.

Remember what Jeremy Allison said about SGI when he was working there? He said that OSS converted SGI from the inside out.

MS is certainly a tough nut to crack. But the best way to crack it may be from the inside. MS's technical employees are a smart bunch, and exactly the kind of people prone to becoming excited about OSS and Linux after having been exposed to it.

Gates and Balmer wield great power. But what can they do when their technical employees have all gotten the OSS meme?

I see this as a positive development.
jayrfink

Jun 14, 2005
9:44 PM EDT
The last statement is probably the most correct I have seen as far as getting Linux put into use goes. As far as having a paying job - hey I have a family, I have to work for the man too. Anyhow, this has been the case at the last two places I worked at. I walk in and it is a split HPUX/MS shop with a smattering of (and I do mean smattering like one or two) Solaris and Novell. Flash forward 2 years at one and one year at another and I have them using and deploying OSS for web, database, and security solutions. It has always been grass roots and not hype. That, by the way, is exactly how UNIX and the internet caught on. So it should not be a surprise to anyone. Marketing does work in some cases (windows anyone?) but in the long haul all strong fundamental changes come from the ground up and often within.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!