Appgen absolutely Rocks

Story: Enterprise-level accounting software comes to LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
helios

Jun 14, 2005
1:20 PM EDT
I have been working with Joanie Mann, VP at Appgen and we will be trying to work out a way to include this application in PClinuxOS. Now at the risk of just chapping the ass of some developers, I have to say that for the last 6 months I have begged and pleaded for help from our developer community to at least begin development of this kind of app under the GPL. I even started Lobby4Linux.com for that express purpose. It ran the spectrum of being totally ignored to being told to go piss up a rope...I'm not kidding, a lead developer for a major financial software application gave me those explicit instructions. I was contacted by a member of the KmyMoney DevTeam and he not only supported our ideas, he would put it on the back burner to-do list. Coming from a "just-get-it-done" kind of guy that he is, I am encouraged.

Well, if the app we as business owners who use Linux happens to cost money...so be it. I have been using it for two weeks now and I have to tell you...Anyone would have trouble matching the functionality and graphical beauty of this program. God Bless Appgen for FINALLY seeing the Linux Community as a viable and valuable resource. May God Bless Joanie Mann as well. She is an absolute pleasure to work with and the consumate professional. Would hate to be on the wrong side of the conference table from her.

Btw...It will be my pleasure to begin writing the letter to intuit, kindly informing them that their refusal to port Quickbooks to Linux just bit them in the ass. Did I say my pleasure...make it my distinct pleasure. Someday, these software and hardware manufacturers are going to wake up and find Linux with 20 percent of the market share and wonder why we will not buy their new linux products. Paybacks' a bitch.

helios
cjcox

Jun 14, 2005
4:06 PM EDT
Appgen's back from the dead?

News to me. Good to hear. These folks were Linux supporters back in their prior life as well.
tuxchick

Jun 14, 2005
7:13 PM EDT
Yeah, I thought Appgen croaked. Are they really alive and well?
helios

Jun 14, 2005
7:50 PM EDT
If the quality of MyBooks is any indication of the health of the company...I would not want to arm wrestle with them.

helios
cjcox

Jun 15, 2005
8:07 PM EDT
But... they really did die. Having a great product is not necessarily a guarantee of a viable business. I do wish them all the best... I think free soln's are the right choice on the personal accounting side, but there really is a need for a large acct. soln.
majones

Jun 21, 2005
2:25 PM EDT
I would simply like to mention something... finance and accounting software is a BIG DEAL for businesses... makes or breaks the ability to comply with a number of regulatory issues etc.... public or private, the issues for business are big.

anybody taking responsibility for this type of business liability needs to have some sort of foundation supporting them... usually, this is seen (for software companies) in the license fees earned on the product. Most business users figure out how to spend money and get money, use their software to record the information, and go on with their lives.

Accounting software vendors typically can't expect to make money on service and support - especially when working with the smb market. This is why the idea of completely free accounting software is a curious one. Who bears the responsibility? Who protects the consumer? Who ensures that true accounting standards and good math prevail? What about updates when the feds, state govts, etc. change the rules? Ever looked at how many depreciation methods there are?

In almost any other area of software, there are great reasons to be and use free. But there still haven't been too many compelling arguments for free business accounting software (other than "we deserve free stuff"). There's an awful lot riding on it, and the rules aren't ours to make.
jamesstansell

Jun 21, 2005
8:41 PM EDT
Providing updates? Adhering to standards? Protecting the client? Taking responsibility?

Those activities all sound like service and support to me!

The most troubling thing to me about proprietary "non-free" programs is that they are incomplete software. I'll post more about that in another thread.

-james.
majones

Jun 22, 2005
8:13 AM EDT
standards-based, as opposed to individually-oriented, and as a foundation to the product itself.
tuxchick

Jun 22, 2005
12:34 PM EDT
I don't mind paying for software IF:

1. it uses open data formats, so my data are not held hostage 2. the vendor is honest and does not do spyware, forced upgrades, and retarded EULAs 3. the vendor is responsive and takes responsbility for defects and fixes 4. The vendor is not hostage to microshaft

Intuit fails on all counts. I'm testing AppGen in the next few days, the product itself looks good. As for the other stuff, time will tell.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!