Craptastic!

Story: LiveCD Boot Benchmarks: Round 1, Popular LiveCDsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
devnet

Jun 17, 2005
6:38 PM EDT
64 Megs on a laptop trying to run X?

Good Luck. Kind of a crappy test bed to test KDE and Gnome.
nick58b

Jun 17, 2005
7:18 PM EDT
If you scroll down, or skim the second paragraph, there are two computers in the test. The second one has an Athlon64 and a gig of ram. The point was to show how some LiveCDs do run on slower computers. For example, DSL runs X fast with only 64 MB of ram.
devnet

Jun 18, 2005
6:44 AM EDT
still...if you're running on a low end system...it usually has 128MB of RAM nowadays.

I hit NO systems with 64MB of RAM ANYWHERE on a 40k computer Network I scan at work.

I do find 64MB on handhelds...so where is the embedded Linux benchmarks?
nick58b

Jun 18, 2005
9:15 AM EDT
You're lucky to work at a place that has good funding. Not every company, country, school, person, etc. can afford new computers. Some rely on donations, second hand computers, or have to use computers they bought ten years ago. It's nice to know that there are modern Linux distros for these old computers. Again, DSL is very popular, and runs on a 486 with 16 MB of memory.
hkwint

Jun 20, 2005
1:40 PM EDT
The author also says 'its mainly for fun'.

Just like these people cooling their CPU to -65 degrees Celsius and than overclocking their 2400mHz CPU to 3200 mHz, just for fun.

Testing real-life situations, most of the time isn't that fun. Just watch a part of "TopGear" (if it's broadcasted outside Europe) and you see the Ferarri's and Lambo's flying around. It's crappy to test them, since almost nobody has them or is going to buy them, but it's boring to test plain SUV's.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!